Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drones in Education

rmozer

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and am studying for my Part 107 certification.

I am working on a grant proposal for a project that would enhance the work being done in the classroom regarding STEM topics. We want to engage students and teachers using a series of unique mobile labs to help with the declining enrollment in geoscience programs and shortage of skilled geoscience employees.

Does anyone have experience using drones for educational purposes (public and private schools, local organizations like the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, etc.) and would be willing to share the roadblocks you've encountered?

Thanks.
Bob

I am working on a grant proposal for a project that would enhance the work being done in the classroom regarding STEM topics. We want to engage students and teachers using a series of unique mobile labs to help with the declining enrollment in geoscience programs and shortage of skilled geoscience employees.

Does anyone have experience using drones for educational purposes (public and private schools, local organizations like the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, etc.) and would be willing to share the roadblocks you've encountered?

Thanks.
Bob
Welcome to the forum I don't have any educational experience for teaching but others could

Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum.

I've taught various organizations but none "youth oriented" unfortunately. I've flown and demonstrated to several of them (including STEM classes) but not in an educational/curriculum stance.

Welcome to the forum. You’ll find many professional and experienced pilots willing to help you.

Take a look at AUVSI. While the national organization primarily represents the larger scale commercial interests of all UV’s, (Aerial, terrestrial, aquatic, sub-aquatic) the real “grass roots” is in the local chapters. There are dozens and dozens of these, composed of local small business operators, law enforcement, serious hobbyists, teachers an educational professionals....

I’m a member of the Lonestar Chapter (Dallas/Fort Worth) and we do, in addition to other community outreach programs, Demo Days and programs for youth in local schools. You don’t list where you’re located, but see if there is a Local Chapter close to you. You may find that much of what you’re looking for already exists, and it’s just a matter of reaching out and getting involved.

Welcome to the forum. You’ll find many professional and experienced pilots willing to help you.

Take a look at AUVSI. While the national organization primarily represents the larger scale commercial interests of all UV’s, (Aerial, terrestrial, aquatic, sub-aquatic) the real “grass roots” is in the local chapters. There are dozens and dozens of these, composed of local small business operators, law enforcement, serious hobbyists, teachers an educational professionals....

I’m a member of the Lonestar Chapter (Dallas/Fort Worth) and we do, in addition to other community outreach programs, Demo Days and programs for youth in local schools. You don’t list where you’re located, but see if there is a Local Chapter close to you. You may find that much of what you’re looking for already exists, and it’s just a matter of reaching out and getting involved.

Thanks Fred.
I am on Long Island, NY and will look into local chapters as you recommend.

Bob

Thanks.
Bob
I recently was awarded a Project for a school system to perform annual inspections on all their carport solar arrays at all the schools in the district. I have reached out to the Principal of their High School to see if their Science dept would like to incorporate my inspection at the High School with a classroom discussion of Thermal Dynamics. Pending reply from the Hight School Teacher

Reactions: Fred Garvin
My Name is Skip Fredricks, I am a Drone Flight Instructor at LA Tech, Grossmont College and the Unmanned Vehicle University inn Phoenix. I have developed, trade marked and copy righted curriculum that is used by and has been taught too the CA Conservation Corp, the CA Dept of Corrections, NBC Sports, and the Countries 2nd Largest Insurance Group. I have personally trained and graduated over 400 students in the last two years. I hold seminars and speak InterDrone, Xpoential, the Comercial Drone Expo and CES. I work with non-profits and education institutions all over the country. I would be glad to offer up any thoughts you may be interested in, feel free to message me directly :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonChar