Join our growing community today!

DSAR - Drone Search & Rescue

rcdancer

Approved Vendor
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronesar.info
I wanted to make all the pilots on here aware of DSAR (Drone Search & Rescue) - a national non-profit 501c3 that I am on the Board of. While we have a presence on the MavicPilots forum, we recognize the value of other drones (non-Mavic drones have attended our training in the past.)

We are an all-volunteer organization of Commercial drone pilots trained in drone Search & Rescue (SAR) techniques and operations seeking to promote the use of drones for Search & Rescue through free training and maintaining a registry of licensed and trained pilots willing to volunteer for SAR incidents. We don't sell anything for profit, nor do we charge for training or Search/Rescue services. While SAR is our primary mission, I am meeting with the Red Cross next week to discuss enhancing their damage assessment capability with our drones. We also offer Law Enforcement no-cost training on effective tactical employment of LE drones.

We offer free training quarterly in different geographical locations around the United States. If you are interested, our next session is Sat, June 8 just north of Atlanta at Acworth Beach where will will train open-water SAR and Damage Assessment flights. We limit each training session to 20 and there are a few slots left. You can sign up here.

As I said, I have a meeting with the local Red Cross head next Wed to discuss DSAR drones enhancing their damage assessment capability after disasters. While I know she wants to use DSAR in Alabama, I intend to offer our services nationally to the American Red Cross. Our Registry has a good start covering 17 states, but we need more. If you're a 107 pilot and willing to volunteer your services for Damage Assessment, please send us your contact info - especially if you're in a state that we currently don't have covered. You can see a map here of our coverage to date. You can send us your contact info here or PM me. We never publish the registry or make it public to maintain privacy and prevent spam. thanks,

Last edited:
We now have a dedicated section for DSAR here on our forums.

Also be sure to Check In over in this thread:

Please note this is a Members Only area and you have to be approved and a member of DSAR to get access into this area as it could contain "sensitive" information etc.

This is NOT an area to promote your business or anything but an area for DSAR to grow and "congregate" in a controlled and secure environment.

Last edited:
I wanted to make all the pilots on here aware of DSAR (Drone Search & Rescue) - a national non-profit 501c3 that I am on the Board of. While we have a presence on the MavicPilots forum, we recognize the value of other drones (non-Mavic drones have attended our training in the past.)

We are an all-volunteer organization of Commercial drone pilots trained in drone Search & Rescue (SAR) techniques and operations seeking to promote the use of drones for Search & Rescue through free training and maintaining a registry of licensed and trained pilots willing to volunteer for SAR incidents. We don't sell anything for profit, nor do we charge for training or Search/Rescue services. While SAR is our primary mission, I am meeting with the Red Cross next week to discuss enhancing their damage assessment capability with our drones. We also offer Law Enforcement no-cost training on effective tactical employment of LE drones.

We offer free training quarterly in different geographical locations around the United States. If you are interested, our next session is Sat, June 8 just north of Atlanta at Acworth Beach where will will train open-water SAR and Damage Assessment flights. We limit each training session to 20 and there are a few slots left. You can sign up here.

As I said, I have a meeting with the local Red Cross head next Wed to discuss DSAR drones enhancing their damage assessment capability after disasters. While I know she wants to use DSAR in Alabama, I intend to offer our services nationally to the American Red Cross. Our Registry has a good start covering 17 states, but we need more. If you're a 107 pilot and willing to volunteer your services for Damage Assessment, please send us your contact info - especially if you're in a state that we currently don't have covered. You can see a map here of our coverage to date. You can send us your contact info here or PM me. We never publish the registry or make it public to maintain privacy and prevent spam. thanks,

I did an online course last year from "Dakota Skyhook". Does this organization's certificate have any weight? Thanks ...

Reactions: Ghost
I did an online course last year from "Dakota Skyhook". Does this organization's certificate have any weight? Thanks ...

While online courses (dependent upon the quality) may certainly have value, unfortunately there is no substitute for onsite training with real flying. There's a world of difference between reading and understanding how to do a grid search and then performing one in challenging conditions (i.e., over open water in high wind.) FPV flights can be nerve-wracking - talk to Charlie about flying his drone near a waterfall looking for a drowning victim. Night operations (conducted with the proper waiver) can be especially challenging.

That's the reason why we want to establish DSAR chapters throughout the country - to make training more accessible. I see you're in Maine. A pilot in NYC wants to establish a chapter up there and is trying to get to training down here to make it happen.

SAR training isn't required to always be with DSAR to be recognized by us. There are different groups or organizations that offer quality training. Getting together one-on-one with a trained SAR pilot (if you can find one up there) and flying under his guidance and tutelage is more than sufficient. Right now, we don't have anyone in the Registry from Maine. You could be the first!

Thanks for the query.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost and BigAl07

Unfortunately at this time, there is little to no "Industry Standardization" to allow us to recognize from one Org to another in regards to sUAS Emergency Services. The good news is we have some "Big Hitters" in the industry trying to resolve that issue locally and internationally. The hurdles are many and complicated but in due time this will change.

Getting some "Hands On" experience/training will go a long way and we are hoping that DSAR will get some traction and become an Industry Leader in this arena quickly. You should consider attending one of the training sessions and then start a chapter in your neck of the nation. The potential is GREAT right now :)

I did go to the site and submit to the registry ( I did NOT get a conformation message however, so it would be nice to now if my data arrived). The DakotaSkyhook training was 20 hours of online testing/video and seemed thorough. Keep me posted.

Of course I concur that UPIC time cannot be substituted.

I did go to the site and submit to the registry ( I did NOT get a conformation message however, so it would be nice to now if my data arrived). The DakotaSkyhook training was 20 hours of online testing/video and seemed thorough. Keep me posted.

Of course I concur that UPIC time cannot be substituted.

Sorry. I went back and checked and still don't see you - we've had a flood of email recently and I may have somehow (inexcusably) missed it. If you didn't get an acknowledgement that we would be in touch with you when you submitted the info, it didn't go through.

Please PM me your info on here (email, phone and geographical location). Sorry again.

We now have a dedicated section for DSAR here on our forums.

Also be sure to Check In over in this thread:

Please note this is a Members Only area and you have to be approved and a member of DSAR to get access into this area as it could contain "sensitive" information etc.

This is NOT an area to promote your business or anything but an area for DSAR to grow and "congregate" in a controlled and secure environment.
How do I get membership approval for the DSAR group? I'd love to take part in the training events.

How do I get membership approval for the DSAR group? I'd love to take part in the training events.

If you're a member of the DSAR group already then @rcdancer will give me approval to add you to the group here.

If you're not already a member it's SUPER easy to become one. You PM @rcdancer the following info and once it's added he will let me know so I can add you to the members list here.

• full name
  • email
  • phone
  • geographical location

If you have any problems let us know.

Allen

No "membership" is required to participate in training. We welcome any pilot regardless of experience. Everyone is welcome from brand new pilots to seasoned 107 certified pros.

Access to the DSAR forum is restricted to members of the DSAR Registry because of the sometime sensitive nature of things discussed that are not suitable for public dissemination. Once someone attends some kind of SAR training (whether DSAR's or someone else's) and is 107 certified, they will be added to the Registry if they are willing to volunteer their services - and subsequently gain access to the restricted DSAR forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91