Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Earthquake and lakes

R.Perry

Reaction score
Wife and I and some friends were out on the lake this morning in our kayaks, the water was like glass, no wind, and no other boats. All of a sudden we started getting small waves and realized it was an earthquake. When I got home I checked, sure enough one in Mammoth Lake area, and one in Bridgeport. They were mild earthquakes, less that 2.0. I was wondering what the lake would be like in a 5.0 to 6.0, probably be rock and roll time.

Reactions: BigAl07
Wife and I and some friends were out on the lake this morning in our kayaks, the water was like glass, no wind, and no other boats. All of a sudden we started getting small waves and realized it was an earthquake. When I got home I checked, sure enough one in Mammoth Lake area, and one in Bridgeport. They were mild earthquakes, less that 2.0. I was wondering what the lake would be like in a 5.0 to 6.0, probably be rock and roll time.

The plug at the bottom would be shaken loose and the lake would drain in a clockwise motion...unless you are south of the equator....or the plug doesn't pop out.

Must have been very close and shallow for you to feel a 2.0.

The Bridgeport quake center was 71 miles and Mammoth Lake was about the same, and about the same time. We didn't feel it, we just noticed waves created by them, they were very small. I don't remember, but one of them was 35 km deep, but you must remember we are talking about the Sierra Nevada mountains. If you pull up the earthquake history you will see there were a series of quakes yesterday, and that is pretty normal.

Earthquakes in California are an every day occurrence. I was just surprised you saw an effect, especially that far away. Interesting observation, one I had not seen before, but good to know!!

Earthquakes in California are an every day occurrence. I was just surprised you saw an effect, especially that far away. Interesting observation, one I had not seen before, but good to know!!

Like I said, the lake was like glass yesterday, no wind, no boats, so when the ripples in the water started we knew they needed to come from somewhere. Now if we had been in the ocean we wouldn't have noticed a thing because of the constant movement of the ocean waves.

I understand, just remember everything you read on the internet is true. You are correct, standing on the ground wouldn't have felt it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91