Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

East Africa

Oyibo VFX

Reaction score
Hey

Just back from a two day trip from Rwanda to Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and of course, my two portable drones with me.
Since January 2018, it is almost a crime to even carrying a drone in most East African countries. In Rwanda, you need to register your drone (RFR 110.000) but you still can't fly it. You need a license as well which can take months to acquire. Tanzania is not much better. Both ruled by (semi) authoritarian leaders. If you been caught by just flying a drone in Tanzania without permits.... jail time. Rwanda is a little easier.
As soon as I have my residents permit, I'll go for the license (similar like Belgium legislation and rules, and I have that license already). Should not be difficult just very expensive and as said, can take months. Tanzania I'm not even starting (yet).
When any update, I'll inform about the progress.
A warning... In Rwanda you need to register your drone upon arrival at the airport. If failed and caught, it's confiscated and you don't got it back. Filming in the parks without a license... jail it is. It's crazy but that are the rules

HI, I'm planning to start a road's surveying in Uganda. Have you got any info there? I was told that the procedure shall start at the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and then from there to the Ministry of Defence. Hope to get the necessary support form the Client (Uganda National Roads Authority)

I'm also planning a trip to Uganda so I have to check this as well. Will not be for next week. But I think you'll need to follow the procedure. GoU as a client will not make a difference.
Make sure you have an invitation letter explaining what you do so at least you can bring your drones in safely

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143