Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Editing software for a MAC

W5CI

Reaction score
what is a simple easy to learn and use editing software for a MAC. I recently got my part 107 back in January

Reactions: RGB
Editing of what, images? Try out Photos. It's free and already there. Plus, Apple has really put the juice to it. You can do ALOT with the editing features in Photos.

You can also download GIMP, a full-featured image editing tool, but a pretty steep learning curve.

For video, try out iMovie. It's free and already there. Easy to learn, very functional too. You can create some pretty cool videos with iMovie.

When you outgrow these and are ready to spend some money, the standard Lightroom/Photoshop for images and Final Cut Pro for video. FCPX is the go-to for Mac. There are lots of others, like DaVinci and Adobe Premiere...but FCPX is built for Mac.

OK thanks, I will try that. I mainly want to add a signature to a photo or video

what is a simple easy to learn and use editing software for a MAC. I recently got my part 107 back in January
but that isnt free
No, but there's no mention of "free" being a requirement in your original post. I just mentioned the "free" options since you're on a Mac (so am I) and there's already some great software as part of the Mac OS load.

When you mentioned signatures on images, Photologo is the go-to solution. It's what all the pros use and is well worth the $40.

If you want "free", then drop your image into Photos. Open the image (in Photos) and click Edit. Then click the (...) and choose Markup. Use the pencil tool and sign your image. Click Done.

@Fred Garvin provided excellent example tools within Mac. The FCPX is excellent purchase, as a plus, you can use on multiple Macs under same purchase & acct ID and receive years of updates under single purchase... no yearly renewal costs or subscriptions. Same for Compressor and Motion programs.

The DaVinci program is excellent, and base model free... and works on both Mac & Win10. If you're using I2 X5S or X7, you may want to purchase the Pro version eventually.

Another great option for Photos on Mac. On1 Pro and Luminar 4 & AI. Both are a purchase, but license usable on Mac & Win10 and full featured. Luminar 4 is being faded, but currently fully supported. Both are perpetual license not subscription based.

If videos are via Mavic or similar platform, and IF you have an iPad Pro in your pack another great low cost option; check out LumaFusion. Can closely duplicate Mac / Win tools on iPad Pro with all the common features and use of Pencil interfac is great. It'll easily load and edit video files from Mavic or similar cameras and has additional LUTs, various transitions and multiple tracks video & audio. You'll be amazed how LumaFusion handles the videos and processing speeds.

@Fred Garvin provided excellent example tools within Mac. The FCPX is excellent purchase, as a plus, you can use on multiple Macs under same purchase & acct ID and receive years of updates under single purchase... no yearly renewal costs or subscriptions. Same for Compressor and Motion programs.

The DaVinci program is excellent, and base model free... and works on both Mac & Win10. If you're using I2 X5S or X7, you may want to purchase the Pro version eventually.

Another great option for Photos on Mac. On1 Pro and Luminar 4 & AI. Both are a purchase, but license usable on Mac & Win10 and full featured. Luminar 4 is being faded, but currently fully supported. Both are perpetual license not subscription based.

If videos are via Mavic or similar platform, and IF you have an iPad Pro in your pack another great low cost option; check out LumaFusion. Can closely duplicate Mac / Win tools on iPad Pro with all the common features and use of Pencil interfac is great. It'll easily load and edit video files from Mavic or similar cameras and has additional LUTs, various transitions and multiple tracks video & audio. You'll be amazed how LumaFusion handles the videos and processing speeds.
I agree the free version of DaVinci Resolve is excellent choice to get starting with editing drone footage. At first glance it looks very intimidating, but there are many YouTube videos to help the beginner to get started. It works great on PC or MAC, as well as, older machines with a few tweaks to the program settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM