Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Emergency TFR for public safety

jasnwatsn

Reaction score
I’ve had my 107 for about a year now but have never had to request a TFR. I was asked today regarding a table top exercise how long it would take to secure the airspace over a major incident. I’m assuming there’s some type of emergency TFR afforded to public safety that doesn’t take a few days for approval, but I could also be wrong. Does anybody know if such a thing exists and if so, how do you get one?

I’ve had my 107 for about a year now but have never had to request a TFR. I was asked today regarding a table top exercise how long it would take to secure the airspace over a major incident. I’m assuming there’s some type of emergency TFR afforded to public safety that doesn’t take a few days for approval, but I could also be wrong. Does anybody know if such a thing exists and if so, how do you get one?

If you're part of an official agency the IC can get one but it's not easy and they don't usually get approved. You have to remember that your TFR could affect manned aircraft in and around the area.

Depending on your agency depends on who you can call. Your best bet is to call your local FSDO and they can get the ball rolling.

Keep in mind that your TFR could affect your own Dept aircraft depending on brand, model, currency of software etc.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Very good point about it affecting our own aircrafts ability to fly in the space. Thanks and I’ll keep doing some digging.

Also in "how long" we had one established late last year for a massive man hunt and from the time we made the call until it went LIVE was 2 hours. A lot of that was getting the answers to all of the FAA's questions.

Very good point about it affecting our own aircrafts ability to fly in the space. Thanks and I’ll keep doing some digging.

Yea we "grounded" a couple of ours but it was a good learning experience as to HOW we go about getting "Authorization" to fly in our own TFR.

Remember the TFR only "affects" aircraft that have GEOFencing and that are current. If you're trying to keep other UAS out of the area it's Hit or Miss . . .

If you're part of an official agency the IC can get one but it's not easy and they don't usually get approved. You have to remember that your TFR could affect manned aircraft in and around the area.

Depending on your agency depends on who you can call. Your best bet is to call your local FSDO and they can get the ball rolling.

Keep in mind that your TFR could affect your own Dept aircraft depending on brand, model, currency of software etc.

I want to clarify one point... I wouldn't actually have you, the operator make the call to the FAA. It needs to be someone with Incident Command to make the call because there are many questions they will have to answer to get the ball rolling.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV