Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA announces remote ID partners. (Now we can all feel safe)

Philztoy

Reaction score
For Immediate Release
May 5, 2020
WASHINGTON
– The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID). Remote ID will enable Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation’s airspace.
The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS): Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. These companies were selected through a Request for Information process in December 2018.
“The FAA will be able to advance the safe integration of drones into our nation’s airspace from these technology companies’ knowledge and expertise on remote identification,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID. The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.
The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. The FAA will then begin accepting applications for entities to become Remote ID suppliers. The FAA will provide updates when other entities can apply to become qualified Remote ID USS on FAA.gov.
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the transportation sector with nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots now registered with the FAA. The agency’s ability to develop Remote ID technology simultaneously with the rule enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system that has demonstrated global leadership through the small UAS rule and the implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.

For Immediate Release
May 5, 2020
WASHINGTON

The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS): Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. These companies were selected through a Request for Information process in December 2018.

You feel safe. I'll remain sceptical. I've got a feeling that they didn't listen to us...

“The FAA will be able to advance the safe integration of drones into our nation’s airspace from these technology companies’ knowledge and expertise on remote identification,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.

Expertise huh? Airbus is the only one in the pack that has a clue about remote identification. The rest I seriously question their knowledge on the subject....other than cashing in on our misfortune.

Last edited:
It looks like the FAA is full speed ahead with their NSA/Prism UTM template under the guise of Remote ID. It's like needing a scooter and requiring a self-driving Tesla. Oh, but we get to pay for it.
Like @R Martin, I doubt the FAA even bothered to read the comments. Their mind was already made up by the lobbyists. Who happen to be the companies mentioned in the memo. What a surprise.

It looks like the FAA is full speed ahead with their NSA/Prism UTM template under the guise of Remote ID. It's like needing a scooter and requiring a self-driving Tesla. Oh, but we get to pay for it.
Like @R Martin, I doubt the FAA even bothered to read the comments. Their mind was already made up by the lobbyists. Who happen to be the companies mentioned in the memo. What a surprise.
They'll come back with a few insignificant changes and say "these changes are based on your feedback, thank you for sharing your concerns", then pat themselves on their back while lining they're pockets that we get to pay for. thanks

For Immediate Release
May 5, 2020
WASHINGTON
– The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID). Remote ID will enable Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation’s airspace.
This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID. The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.
The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. The FAA will then begin accepting applications for entities to become Remote ID suppliers. The FAA will provide updates when other entities can apply to become qualified Remote ID USS on FAA.gov.
Drones are a fast-growing segment of the transportation sector with nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots now registered with the FAA. The agency’s ability to develop Remote ID technology simultaneously with the rule enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system that has demonstrated global leadership through the small UAS rule and the implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.
I fell perfectly comfortable in the hands of the FAA, they would never lie to us...
mulder.gif

The FAA is going to do what the FAA wants to do and I don't think they are really that concerned with recreational fliers. Minus any significant changes that allow currently owned drones to fly in a more liberal fashion than what was described in the NPRM you're going to end up make a lot of recreational fliers criminals. Rules and regulations have to be grounded in concepts people believe are rational, logical and based in facts. Come out with rules and regulations that aren't and the tendency is for people to ignore them.

Right now I'm in wait and wait and see mode.

Reactions: Philztoy
No choice but to sit and wait. I sent in my comments to the FAA but somehow I doubt they spent much time looking at them.

It looks like it will be heavily weighted to autonomous uses to me. I don't think it will affect part 107 operations other than we will be the red headed step children of whatever the autonomous drone rules will be. Amazon may need commercial pilots to operate, right? They will probably find a way to amend or waive that rule along the way. It will kill hobby use unless the solution is dirt cheap.

Stay tuned! I am sure they will come up with something. Hopefully, it won't happen quickly.

People seem not to understand that this announcement only concerns the companies the FAA has selected to help develop the standards that will be used by the USS providers who will implement RID in whatever form the FAA publishes in their final rule.

And as far as the RID NPRM goes, I have heard it is on a fast track within the FAA due to intense pressure from various security and law enforcement agencies. Perhaps as soon as the end of this year, which would be record time!!

When the final Remote ID rules come out, unless they make some changes based on public comments there will need to be legal challenges is my guess :-(

Any legal action would have to be paid for by someone or some entity... Who?

Yes, exactly, unless the R/C manufacturers as a whole steps up to the plate the non-commercial and small commercial users may very well have a difficult time in the future just doing real estate, construction photos.... or just flying at the local (non AMA) field. :-(

Let's face it the FAA is thinking far ahead of what most of us are. You want long range drone operations, well then you need to be able to identify those drones. I'm all for some type of transponder in our drones and I can see where five to ten years down the road where the civil drone technology will be far beyond what we have today and integrated into the ATC systems, but that is going to take a lot of time, better communications with possible satellite links is a must have. A more advanced ATC system, collision avoidance in all aircraft both drones and general aviation. The FAA is about making flying safer, if it means stepping on some peoples toes, then that's what will happen.

Reactions: GStuart
Let's face it the FAA is thinking far ahead of what most of us are. You want long range drone operations, well then you need to be able to identify those drones. I'm all for some type of transponder in our drones and I can see where five to ten years down the road where the civil drone technology will be far beyond what we have today and integrated into the ATC systems, but that is going to take a lot of time, better communications with possible satellite links is a must have. A more advanced ATC system, collision avoidance in all aircraft both drones and general aviation. The FAA is about making flying safer, if it means stepping on some peoples toes, then that's what will happen.

I'm not against remote ID for longer range and out of VLS type flights, What about the dozen or so aircraft in my quiver that will not have Remote ID... some are actually "vintage" planes (w/new radio eqt)... given the current rule proposal most of my fleet... and everyone else's fleet will be obsolete in 3-4 years. What about aircraft that you fly at the local empty field? There are many apps out now and with other type of technologies and precautions I don't see why the r/c hobbiest cannot co-exist under a different set of rules.

I'm not too worried about my commercial side, I'm worried about my hobby side.

People seem not to understand that this announcement only concerns the companies the FAA has selected to help develop the standards that will be used by the USS providers who will implement RID in whatever form the FAA publishes in their final rule.

Sure. But the majority of comments to the NPRM pointed out that the UTM portion, the part you are talking about, is not needed for other than BVLOS ops at scale. And "big drone" that are planning to be in that space will also develop a UTM for their own internal use. The FAA could coordinate with them to follow a standard that they all use. The rest of us, "little drone" should only need a live broadcast option with no back-end infrastructure needed.

So, when the FAA announces they've selected the companies that lobbied for UTM to develop UTM, that is not encouraging news, and shows that the FAA is on their own track, comments and common sense be damned.

It took a decade, actually probably more, for ADS-B to be implemented in GA aircraft. GA aircraft still do not have to have systems in place the same as air transport ops. Why is it that basically right off the bat they want all uas to fit in the "air transport" type regulatory environment of uas ops? When it's not about safety or accountability, it's got to be about the $$. How many FAA folks have jobs lined up with those "selected" companies?? ?

The most striking thing I see in this announcement is that the FAA has no technical knowledge of how to implement the remote id policies they have mandated within the deadlines they have set. This means that they don't really know if it's even possible or have any realistic estimate for how much it will cost. You can estimate things years in advance of doing them, but seriously those models get blown apart time and time again. Fancy guesses are still complete shots in the dark, no matter how much impressive words or corporate speak you drape around them. In my entire engineering career, I've never been involved in a project that hasn't gone way over on time and cost. Maybe that just says something about me :) but I think the issue is more universal.

The FAA appears to be forging ahead with the presumption that we can build a technology solution to any problem. Sometimes that works. This is a thing that feels like it could work. But their announcement is an admission that the policy is forged before the system design has even started. We will certainly muddle through this like we muddle through everything, but the approach is far from optimal.

I'm not against remote ID for longer range and out of VLS type flights, What about the dozen or so aircraft in my quiver that will not have Remote ID... some are actually "vintage" planes (w/new radio eqt)... given the current rule proposal most of my fleet... and everyone else's fleet will be obsolete in 3-4 years. What about aircraft that you fly at the local empty field? There are many apps out now and with other type of technologies and precautions I don't see why the r/c hobbiest cannot co-exist under a different set of rules.

I'm not too worried about my commercial side, I'm worried about my hobby side.

I think we all understand your concerns and most likely there will be exceptions for the RC folks like yourself that fly at fields. I think this is a long ways off, the FAA is notorious for coming up with ideas they have no way of knowing how it will be implemented. I started flying civil in the mid seventies and their have been many changes, they all came slow, some ideas they came up with were also never implemented.

I think this is a long ways off, the FAA is notorious for coming up with ideas they have no way of knowing how it will be implemented.

Exactly correct - when I talked to the FAA rep at CES I asked about cost, possible retrofits to older models etc.... his response: "We are going to let private industry figure that out"... Ugh... meaning the big boys will determine the future of commercial and hobbiest r/c flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM