Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA - Class D airspace waiver - approved!

Submitted my request back in Feb. I just got the email that it was finally approved. I only asked for a small section for monthly inspection progress flights but they changed it for all the airspace with stipulation to follow the new charts (being used by LAANC)

Woo hoo

Congratulations, giving the full grid area seems to be the norm these days.

Submitted my request back in Feb. I just got the email that it was finally approved. I only asked for a small section for monthly inspection progress flights but they changed it for all the airspace with stipulation to follow the new charts (being used by LAANC)

Woo hoo
Congratulations!

Just to clarify, did your Class D Airspace Authorization request include DoD or non-FAA towered field(s)? I ask because I'm 100 days into my own application review (with virtually no feedback except to say I'm "in the pipeline") on a DoD Class D AA application, and I'd love to be able to think we'll eventually get where we need to be.

Thanks for any insights.

Congratulations!

Just to clarify, did your Class D Airspace Authorization request include DoD or non-FAA towered field(s)? I ask because I'm 100 days into my own application review (with virtually no feedback except to say I'm "in the pipeline") on a DoD Class D AA application, and I'd love to be able to think we'll eventually get where we need to be.

Thanks for any insights.
"DoD Class D AA application" Sorry had to ask what's that?

"DoD Class D AA" = Department of Defense Class D Airspace Authorization - one of the two classes of airport facilities not included in the this year's first round of LAANC-participating airfields. AirMap implies that something is in the works though as - if you click on "Advisories" for one of the orange DoD Controlled Airspaces in app you'll be greeted with the name of the facility, a note about the Airspace currently requiring an FAA Part 107 waiver, and the note "Automated authorization coming soon at or below [XXX] feet."

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
AirMap implies that something is in the works though as - if you click on "Advisories" for one of the orange DoD Controlled Airspaces in app you'll be greeted with the name of the facility, a note about the Airspace currently requiring an FAA Part 107 waiver, and the note "Automated authorization coming soon at or below [XXX] feet."

AirMap is not an official source of FAA information so I wouldn't give the message too much weight. They get some things correct and a lot incorrect.

"DoD Class D AA" = Department of Defense Class D Airspace Authorization - one of the two classes of airport facilities not included in the this year's first round of LAANC-participating airfields. AirMap implies that something is in the works though as - if you click on "Advisories" for one of the orange DoD Controlled Airspaces in app you'll be greeted with the name of the facility, a note about the Airspace currently requiring an FAA Part 107 waiver, and the note "Automated authorization coming soon at or below [XXX] feet."
Thanks. I just never heard of it. Thankfully no DOD around the areas I work.

Woo hoo

If you don't mind answering, what length duration did you request, and what did they grant you? I'm considering requesting two authorizations for Class D airspaces that aren't available in LAANC yet. (contract towers, I believe)

Class D airspace is Class D airspace. There is no differentiation that I am aware of. It certainly doesn't show up in the regs that I have found. I think you might be referring to the TFR that exists over the base itself. No airspace authorization is going to get you past that. Those are negotiated with the governing agency or department on a case by case basis with the op staff of the owning facility.

If you don't mind answering, what length duration did you request, and what did they grant you? I'm considering requesting two authorizations for Class D airspaces that aren't available in LAANC yet. (contract towers, I believe)

Length was 120 days and instead of only the small area I asked for, they gave me the entire airspace with the condition to follow the FAA Facility map altitudes

ArcGIS Web Application

Reactions: dawgpilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR