Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Finding a Visual Observer

manutter51

Reaction score
Now that I have an FPV drone, I need a visual observer. Which I also should have even for non-FPV work, but thus far I've worked solo. Where do you folks get yours? My wife teaches music lessons in the evening, my kids are grown and gone, I'm kind of an introvert (besides being a remote worker in my day job). If I had a paying gig I might be able to hire somebody, but I hope they're not sitting around waiting for me to get gigs because I'm mostly evenings and weekends right now, and I don't expect to get a lot of regular work. I'm interested in your experience whether it matches mine or not. So how about it?

Last edited:
Your best bet is to find another FPV pilot.

You don’t say where you are located, but keep in mind that flying an FPV with a VO in the US can only be done recreationally. You have posted in the commercial forum where in the US such a setup for commercial flights violates the the rule that a commercial PIC must maintain VLOS.

Your best bet is to find another FPV pilot.

You don’t say where you are located, but keep in mind that flying an FPV with a VO in the US can only be done recreationally. You have posted in the commercial forum where in the US such a setup for commercial flights violates the the rule that a commercial PIC must maintain VLOS.
If you're saying commercial FPV is illegal, you're wrong.

We do need a VO, but you can fly FPV.

If you're flying FPV, the RPIC must maintain the "ability" (as per 107.31 (b)) to see the drone. That means you need to be able to remove your goggles if necessary and quickly find the drone. That's why you have to have a VO with you. Because one of you need to be able to see the drone at all times. But only one of you.

Full text of 107.31 here: 14 CFR § 107.31 - Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

Okay, back to your question on how to find a VO. Join an FPV club in your area. MultiGP is a national organization and can get you connected to other pilot in your area. Good luck and have fun.

If you're saying commercial FPV is illegal, you're wrong.

We do need a VO, but you can fly FPV.

If you're flying FPV, the RPIC must maintain the "ability" (as per 107.31 (b)) to see the drone. That means you need to be able to remove your goggles if necessary and quickly find the drone. That's why you have to have a VO with you. Because one of you need to be able to see the drone at all times. But only one of you.

Full text of 107.31 here: 14 CFR § 107.31 - Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
Thanks! I stand corrected. Someone I thought knew the regs better than me led me to believe otherwise. As I read 107.31 I am now convinced that you are right. Perhaps I need to order an FPV given this enlightenment.

Now that I have an FPV drone, I need a visual observer. Which I also should have even for non-FPV work, but thus far I've worked solo. Where do you folks get yours? My wife teaches music lessons in the evening, my kids are grown and gone, I'm kind of an introvert (besides being a remote worker in my day job). If I had a paying gig I might be able to hire somebody, but I hope they're not sitting around waiting for me to get gigs because I'm mostly evenings and weekends right now, and I don't expect to get a lot of regular work. I'm interested in your experience whether it matches mine or not. So how about it?
Sounds like a great opportunity for you to volunteer at a local school to teach a UAV club or class for an hour or so once a week after school , and to be able to hire students (with school and parent permission) to help you work on a weekend while they are learning a trade. I’d have parents drop and pick up the students though- don’t drive them.

Reactions: manutter51

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM