Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

First event gig, after a few real estate gigs

Reaction score
I've been approached by an educational institution to provide some aerial photography and multiple short video clips (10 secs or less) of a post-graduation celebration outdoors. The actually ceremony will be indoors but a short celebration will commence once graduates exit the building. I have done a few jobs for real estate and one creative piece as well as some jobs for acquaintances in which we have bartered services. However, as this is a bigger client than real estate agents, and small business/land owners, i want to make sure i have all my bases covered pre event day. I have my basic license, am insured and will be flying my mini 2 (controlled airspace).

I will be meeting with the client to discuss details, expectations and responsibilities. in a couple weeks. Just wondering if i should add any topics to be discussed at this meeting or considerations i might not be taking into account.

Where is the precise area of operation. Potential hazards to people, aircraft, property. Pre event site safety survey - trees towers power lines in relation to shoot

Safety precautions , roped off safe, landing launching area, assigned a communications student to relay timing of graduates exiting building etc? wear hi visibility drone operator vest, best angles to avoid flying over people.

Environmental factors – excessive wind, rain, cold ,snow, equipment failure,

How would they like finished product to be delivered, electronically, which format client would prefer footage photos to be delivered in.

Compensation amount and time frame

Standard Photography contract.

Is there anything i am missing?

Reactions: MikeA and wradar
Sounds to me like you have carefully thought this out. You mentioned controlled air space. You might mention in your discussion what flight restrictions you will be under regarding maximum altitude if, for example, the location happens to lie within a 100' max altitude LAANC cell. Also, multiple short video clips can still require a significant time in the air, getting into the perfect position, moving to the next shot, waiting for something to happen, etc. So have at least 2 or 3 charged batteries on hand if you can. In the contract, you should make it clear that adverse weather conditions based on your discretion or a TFR in place at the time of the event will void the agreement. Best of luck with the gig.

Last edited:
Hey thanks mm3, all great suggestions, yes i will have 7 charged batteries on hand and likely a backup mini2, i had thought through adverse weather conditions clause and tfr or NOTAM clause but didnt articulate it well. I appreciate your time and your input. Have you worked any type of event like this?

I have filmed a few beach cleanup events for a non-profit organization, but that was somewhat related to the flying I do as part of my 9-5 job for an environmental firm in support of that group. So I've never had to work up a private contract.

Reactions: ThreeLoneDrones
I forgot that I also filmed a school outing to their Education Center. You can watch the video here. I filmed all of the aerial and hand-held footage used in the video and compile it all using the DaVinci Resolve video editing software. I also designed the Coastal Steward Long Island logo, so I wear a bunch of different hats at my job.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeLoneDrones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215