Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flight Authorization questions

Mavic Mac

Reaction score
I currently have a wide area Flight Authorization to fly for Real Estate Photography within controlled Class D airspace for KCEF airport. There is a new construction project of a Senior Citizen Center within this same airspace. I contacted the contractor and asked if I could document the progress with aerial photography using my drone. This would be a non-paying job, but an opportunity for me to gain experience and start a portfolio. This would be my first attempt at recording construction, but we all have to start sometime and somewhere.

I am thinking I should request a new Flight Authorization because it is not what typically would be considered real estate photography, i.e. showing house and property for sale. For those of you that have the experience is my thinking correct ?

Second question – It is 100’ AGL (would request 90’ AGL) restricted airspace and due to the surroundings I would have about 260’ radius to conduct flights in, if I stood in the center of the construction site. If I stood in the corner of the parking lot the furthest VLOS flight would be about 375’ . Would you use a V.O.?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

I currently have a wide area Flight Authorization to fly for Real Estate Photography within controlled Class D airspace for KCEF airport. There is a new construction project of a Senior Citizen Center within this same airspace. I contacted the contractor and asked if I could document the progress with aerial photography using my drone. This would be a non-paying job, but an opportunity for me to gain experience and start a portfolio. This would be my first attempt at recording construction, but we all have to start sometime and somewhere.

I am thinking I should request a new Flight Authorization because it is not what typically would be considered real estate photography, i.e. showing house and property for sale. For those of you that have the experience is my thinking correct ?

Second question – It is 100’ AGL (would request 90’ AGL) restricted airspace and due to the surroundings I would have about 260’ radius to conduct flights in, if I stood in the center of the construction site. If I stood in the corner of the parking lot the furthest VLOS flight would be about 375’ . Would you use a V.O.?

As always, thanks in advance for any input.

So let me see if I have this right. You already have a wide area COA for the Class D airspace. If so, it doesn't matter what type of flight you are making. A wide access authorization gives you access as long as you follow the stipulations (ex. stick to the published grid altitudes or lower, grid altitude is maximum).
What exactly do you mean restricted airspace? Give me enough information to look it up on the FAA UAS Facilities map so I can give you an accurate answer.
Would I use a VO? I always use a VO. The unique specifics of each site dictate how many VOs I will use (line of sight, hazards, traffic density in the area, etc). Is there is a lot of foot traffic around the perimeter of the site, is the site fenced? Does the public have access without hindrance to where you will be? If so, I would add an extra to run interference should anyone get Chatty Patty syndrome.

Reactions: JimD
Thank you for your input - much appreciated. Hope this helps clarify it somewhat

1. That was my concern - does the FAA consider construction projects real estate? My previous flight authorization states
Airspace Authorization: Real Estate Photography

2. I guess my terminology should have been controlled airspace - It is 100' AGL due to KCEF. I would request 90' AGL authorization. Considering it is just foundation and footing stage right now I would not need the 90 feet. Once the main part of the building is erected I figured the 90’ would give me a safety cushion

3. I would be flying at 42 14'12.95 N 72 35' 05.23 W

4. VLOS distance would be approx. 375 feet at furthest distance without any buildings or trees.

5. The area is residential with minimal traffic

7. The construction area itself is fenced off with 6-foot fencing and privacy screen material attached to the fence

1. That was my concern - does the FAA consider construction projects real estate? My previous flight authorization states
Airspace Authorization: Real Estate Photography

If it specifically states real estate photography then you probably want to apply for just a plain wide area access CoA.

2. I guess my terminology should have been controlled airspace - It is 100' AGL due to KCEF. I would request 90' AGL authorization. Considering it is just foundation and footing stage right now I would not need the 90 feet. Once the main part of the building is erected I figured the 90’ would give me a safety cushion

As long as you aren't flying in the Westover TFR and in an area designated 100' or better you will be fine.

4. VLOS distance would be approx. 375 feet at furthest distance without any buildings or trees.

I always use at least one VO; always. With an unobstructed view and one VO you are golden.

The only area of concern is in #1 above. If the CoA states that it is for real estate photography, I personally would obtain another that is just wide area access with no use associated with it. That removes the only sticking point in the whole thing to me.
KCEf.JPG

I really do appreciate your time in answering my questions.

On the application it requests DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROPOSED OPERATION and Purpose Of Operation. How did you request it for wide area with no specific use listed ?

I really do appreciate your time in answering my questions.

On the application it requests DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROPOSED OPERATION and Purpose Of Operation. How did you request it for wide area with no specific use listed ?
This is directly from my application:

"All flights will be conducted at or below 400FT AGL within Kxxx's Class D airspace around the longitude and latitude coordinates provided above taking into account altitudes published in the UAS Facilities Map (UASFM). The pilot understands that the published altitudes within the UASFM are absolute maximums and may not be exceeded. All flights will be conducted between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time. The pilot will confirm prior to each flight that no restrictions are present in accordance with 14 CFR 107.45 and 107.49(a)(2). The pilot will review the published UASFM to ensure no changes have been made to the map in regards to altitude changes or airspace modifications prior to each flight. Finally, in the event that the UAS loses communications or its GPS signal the UAS will return to a predetermined location designated prior to takeoff within the operating area and land. The PIC will abort the flight in the event of any unpredicted obstacles or emergencies"

I specifically did not list any purpose for the operations because we perform a lot of different operations. No sense in confusing them. There is a lot of wording but most of it appears as standard or special provisions in the waiver and I wanted to beat them to the punch. Never had one rejected.

Again - Many THANKS !!!!
Sorry for delayed response - storm took out power and internet :(

Last edited:
Reactions: R Martin
First of all I think you need at least 200 feet for construction documentation. As for a VO in a small area, I found they are mostly useless so I don't use them unless the job requires it, not saying that is the right thing to do, it's just that I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.
Number one thing on a construction site is don't overfly people on the ground. I did a lot of my flights on the weekends when I knew I wouldn't need to deal with people running around. If you are flying during normal work hours you will end up overflying someone it is almost impossible to avoid, but every attempt should be made to avoid overflights.
Almost every large job site has a safety person, get to know them and what their expectations and demands are.
The job I was on the client fell in love with mapping, panos, and video overflights, here again each superintendent is different.
Once the superintendent and engineers realize they can sit it their offices and do the majority if exterior inspections without getting out of their chair, they fall in love with it.
You might also consider offering interior still photo documentation as well, those are pretty much point and shoot pictures.

What I would do it get the client interested with what you can deliver then start talking money.
Another thing, make sure you can deliver what the client wants, and never BS them.

Last but not least, make sure you have plenty of insurance, if you should injure someone with your done a million dollar policy could be gone very quickly. Job site I was on required five mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD
Thanks to all for your input. As I stated in my original post this would be a non-paying job. I have contacted the contractor to see if they would allow me to do it and so far I have not received an answer. The lady I spoke with was very pleasant and slightly taken off guard, since they have never had somebody fly or ask to fly their jobs.

Since this was not going to be a paid job if the footage wasn't great I wasn't going to have an upset client and;
1. It would be used as a self training session
2. It would clearly show my weaknesses in capturing good video
3. It would give me an chance to practice video editing to achieve a final result
4. If the video did come out good I could use it as a possible marketing tool to solicit future work.

As @R.Perry advised that I should have 200' AGL for construction documentation and since this site is located in controlled airspace of 100' AGL and is only approx 200' from controlled airspace of 0' AGL I won't be pursuing it. Will wait for a better opportunity. Those C-5B Galaxies fly over awful low :D

Last edited:
Reactions: R Martin
As @R.Perry advised that I should have 200' AGL for construction documentation and since this site is located in controlled airspace of 100' AGL and is only approx 200' from controlled airspace of 0' AGL I won't be pursing it. Will wait for a better opportunity. Those C-5B Galaxies fly over awful low :D

And the wake turbulence they generate is pretty impressive too.

Reactions: R.Perry
I’ve always just said photography without any more specifics than that.
I mean you are taking pictures of buildings and buildings are real estate.

Thanks to all for your input. As I stated in my original post this would be a non-paying job. I have contacted the contractor to see if they would allow me to do it and so far I have not received an answer. The lady I spoke with was very pleasant and slightly taken off guard, since they have never had somebody fly or ask to fly their jobs.

Since this was not going to be a paid job if the footage wasn't great I wasn't going to have an upset client and;
1. It would be used as a self training session
2. It would clearly show my weaknesses in capturing good video
3. It would give me an chance to practice video editing to achieve a final result
4. If the video did come out good I could use it as a possible marketing tool to solicit future work.

As @R.Perry advised that I should have 200' AGL for construction documentation and since this site is located in controlled airspace of 100' AGL and is only approx 200' from controlled airspace of 0' AGL I won't be pursuing it. Will wait for a better opportunity. Those C-5B Galaxies fly over awful low :D

I'd do it, good experience...just my 2c

Actually submitted a request for tomorrow starting at 1300 hrs for a real estate job. Again, doing it for practice, experience.

Reactions: Kklix

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905