Join our growing community today!

Flying BVLOS Approval for Emergency Services

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
For those who are flying with a Public Safety Entity (and they are supporting/sponsoring your flight as part of their Dept under their jurisdiction) there is a process to "possibly" get approval to fly Beyond VLOS. It's not a guaranteed thing but it's an option your Dept can request. One caveat is it can only be carried out during a full blown TFR. So if your event won't warrant a TFR then you're not going to get approval for BVLOS for the event.

I'm going to greatly "Over Simplify" the process (call it BVLOS for Dummies) but those who are flying for a Public Safety Entity probably will be able to use this as their Cliffs Notes to get going.

A) Have a legit need for BVLOS for Public Safety
B) Be in an area where a TFR will not disrupt or at least minimally disrupt other crucial aerial services (forget about getting one in Controlled Airspace etc).
C) Be working with a Public Safety Entity under their jurisdiction
D) Contact the Systems Operations Support Center (SOSC)
E) If all the criteria is met the SOSC can get an approval back to you in just a few hours. It's possible they will reach and ask for modifications etc. This could take a little while. Be prepared and patient.
F) This is not an "Instant On" process. It will require several levels of signatures and authorizations on both the Public Safety (Your Side) side and the FAA side of things.
G) Once approved Systems Operations Security (SOS) will coordinate with the affected ATC facilities etc in order to implement any needed mitigation procedures (eg the application of Temporary Flight Restrictions) to reach an acceptable level of safety risk and to minimize impacts on other air traffic operations.

I can't stress how important it is to understand that this is only allowed during and within the TFR. Your TFR will have the allowances listed at the bottom and if BVLOS is not listed as approved IT IS NOT!!

This is for Emergency Services only . . . don't clog the system by trying to get this for Non Emergency Services use because it's not going to happen. At least not right now LOL.

If you are in need of more detailed information drop me a note and I'll try to get you pointed to the right people to get the process started.

Safe flights,
Allen

Allen, good info.

I am seeing this more often on Type 1 and 2 wildfire incidents during my summer deployments. Which is a good thing IMHO. These always have aTFR.

Mike

Reactions: BigAl07
Allen, good info.

I am seeing this more often on Type 1 and 2 wildfire incidents during my summer deployments. Which is a good thing IMHO. These always have aTFR.

Mike

If you're flying for the AHJ and there is already a TFR your odds of getting a BVLOS allowance (IMHO) is greatly increased. The only caveat is the BVLOS has to be written into the TFR so you'd be well advised to try and get this implemented from the get-go as it's a lot easier than re-establishing the TFR and re-issuing everything. I'd suggest bringing this up with your Incident Commander as soon as you know it's going to escalate to the level of issuing a TFR.

Safe flights and thank you for your service to Public Safety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services