Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying in Ontario - First attempt at an SFOC

AaronRobb

Reaction score
Hi all!
New(er) pilot here in Ontario.
Been flying a Inspire1 for a few years now for fun, but going for commercial status now.

I've completed the flight school, and and working on my first SFOC.

Anyone have recommendations or examples for parts like the Site Survey or Security plan?
I'll get some drawings close to what they show as an example for a site survey, but i'm interested if anyone else has better ones they've used and got approved with?

Also I'm assuming on the new SFOC forms, in the Site Survey and Security Plans fields, since its just a line, I'm ok to say 'See Appendix A' or something like that???

Looking forward to jumping into this community!!

So some questions that have come up:

"Manufacturer UAV Specifications & Limitations" - What do I show for this? I'm using a DJI Inspire 1. Just attach their manual or what?

"UAV Operations and Maintenance Procedures" - Again, what should be attached for this? Is this from DJI or something I write up saying I take care of the drone?

Hey Aaron,

The short and dirty;

Site Survey - This will look something like a google earth image, with all information regarding the operation on it. Eg. Hazards, public, structures, roads, airspace, gps coordinates, flight plan, mission objective, etc

Safety Plan - This is asking for you plan of how you’re going to keep your operation in line with all TC regulations, as well as keep the public away from your operation, and yourself away from built up areas and roads etc.

UAV Specs - You can attach the owners manual, but it all comes down to how seriously you want TC to take you. Take the time, lay out the actual machine limitations, and how you stay well below them. Showcase your knowledge of the equipment.

Maintenance Schedule - What are your companies maintenance policies. When do you replace props, when do you inspect your airframe, when do you do preventative maintenance.

Hope this helps you out.
Alan

Last edited:
Hey Aaron,

The short and dirty;

Site Survey - This will look something like a google earth image, with all information regarding the operation on it. Eg. Hazards, public, structures, roads, airspace, gps coordinates, flight plan, mission objective, etc

Safety Plan - This is asking for you plan of how you’re going to keep your operation in line with all TC regulations, as well as keep the public away from your operation, and yourself away from built up areas and roads etc.

UAV Specs - You can attach the owners manual, but it all comes down to how seriously you want TC to take you. Take the time, lay out the actual machine limitations, and how you stay well below them. Showcase your knowledge of the equipment.

Maintenance Schedule - What are your companies maintenance policies. When do you replace props, when do you inspect your airframe, when do you do preventative maintenance.

Hope this helps you out.
Alan

Ok thank you!

Another question that has been hurting my head from the beginning.
When i list the airspace i want to fly in, because i only want to fly like 50' off the ground, do i still list that as Class E? Assuming i'm in a class E route? Even though class E is much higher than what I'm flying?
Or is my flying at 50' essentially Class G and can I put that on the SFOC?

And another question:

What would I tell a User Agency or Controlling Agency when i call to ask permission to fly? I mean beyond the project details? Do i call and say "Hi i'm looking to fly a UAV in an area that you control on these dates, is that ok?" ??
:)

And another question:

What would I tell a User Agency or Controlling Agency when i call to ask permission to fly? I mean beyond the project details? Do i call and say "Hi i'm looking to fly a UAV in an area that you control on these dates, is that ok?" ??
:)
Hi Aaron, Transport Canada and Nav Canada have changed the procedures as of June 12 2018.
They are trying to reduce the number of Notams that were being generated.
You should contact Nav Canada , the NAV CANADA UAV Coordinator for your region.
They have a few PDF's that cover the new procedures.
It also covers your airspace question.
It's a bit more controlled than "Hi i'm looking to fly a UAV in an area that you control on these dates, is that ok?" ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143