Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying Mini 3 Pro Indoors

Sanpanza

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am a commercial photographer in Los Angeles (www.carreonphotography.com) I want to fly my Mini 3 Pro indoors and am wondering how to disengage satellite guidance so the drone is not always looking for a signal.
The space is empty and very large so I think I can do this smoothly if I disengage satellite guidance.

I have tried once but the drone was jumping all over the place which I believe is do to seeking satellite guidance.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The drone will not try to seek out a satellite signal. The signal is either available or it isn't. You won't have any satellite connection indoors anyway, as you need open sky for that. But you can manually turn off GPS if you like by placing the drone into ATTI mode -- but it will tend to drift without constant stick input on your part anytime you are flying indoors, with or without GPS mode turned on.

Last edited:
The drone will not try to seek out a satellite signal. The signal is either available or it isn't. You won't have any satellite connection indoors anyway, as you need open sky for that. But you can manually turn off GPS if you like by placing the drone into ATTI mode -- but it will tend to drift without constant stick input on your part anytime you are flying indoors.
OK, I noticed it lurching off path when I did a fly-through the first time. I have also been told that this would happen but drone operators I have hired in the past. Additionally, I am told that there is no way to disconnect from the Satellites. Is that what ATTI mode is?

I will give it a couple of more shots before I buy the Avata.

Last edited:
It's possible that its forward obstacle avoidance system is detecting something in proximity ahead of it and is trying to avoid it, but if you are truly flying in a big open space that shouldn't happen. But you could try turning off obstacle avoidance and see if that helps. Sometimes strong sunlight can mess with it if it hits the sensors a certain way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeA
First there is NO ATTI mode on a Mav Mini 3 or any DJI Drone that isn’t 3 generations ago. 2nd you can most certainly get a GPS signal in a building, specifically if the building has a wooden roof. There is no way to disengage the gps I’ve never tried it but some people swear by putting a few layers of aluminum foil over the top of the drone. To me it sounds like a scene from a cone head movie. Lol

• Love
Reactions: CentralVAphoto
If the space is "empty and very large", I'd put money on interference from rebar/other metals in the structure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM