Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FYI, P4RTK and Firehouse ARC V don’t mix

itchynackers

Reaction score
Recently had to send in (twice) a fairly new P4RTK for service due to very erratic behavior, uncontrollability issues, not responding to inputs, sudden movements etc.. Long story short, apparently the Firehouse arc v (turned off) was somehow causing the issues. It was mounted on the back of the camera support arm.

How is that causing flight issues?

That seems weird. It's only an extra 13 grams. And they don't have any broadcast components.

What does DJI say it's doing?

DJI sent me a new drone, same controller, but I got same results when I tested (after I put the strobe on the new drone). It never occured to me it could be the strobe. So I sent nasty messages to DJI, because they clearly hadn’t fixed the problem (to me must’ve been the controller by default). Sent it back to the sales rep, who did extensive testing, and said it was the strobe. I said, no way, it wasn’t even on. But sure enough, when I tested it (even on a 1 hour mission flight), it flew flawlessly.

Reactions: MikeA
I'd
DJI sent me a new drone, same controller, but I got same results when I tested (after I put the strobe on the new drone). It never occured to me it could be the strobe. So I sent nasty messages to DJI, because they clearly hadn’t fixed the problem (to me must’ve been the controller by default). Sent it back to the sales rep, who did extensive testing, and said it was the strobe. I said, no way, it wasn’t even on. But sure as sh_t, when I tested it (even on a 1 hour mission flight), it flew flawlessly.
That's just strange. I've never heard of strobes causing issues.

Yes, strange. Just wanted to let P4RTK users know at least don’t mount the strobe on the back side of the cam mount. I haven’t tried it mounted elsewhere. I may, but I was so rattled by the unpredictability of the drone (at least 6 different times and locations), I don’t know if it’s worth it.

Reactions: MikeA and Vic Moss
Sounds like EMI from the strobe. I can’t imagine there’s much (any?) EMI shielding in many commercial drones, so it isn’t surprising that a non-OEM aftermarket strobe caused some problems.

Little blurb on this topic from a vendor. No affiliation, posted just for the relevant info. Spike-D - AveoEngineering

Reactions: MikeA
Yes, article discusses emi emitted by the strobe (when it’s on). In my case the strobe wasn’t even on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM