Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

GCT Placement

hedbonker

Reaction score
Are any of you using a GPS device like a Garmin or an app on your phone to measure GCP placement? If so, what have you found that works well for this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoteFlyte
Are any of you using a GPS device like a Garmin or an app on your phone to measure GCT placement? If so, what have you found that works well for this?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you are talking about setting GCP's. Ground Control Points? I don't know of any simple, cheap handheld that would give you real accuracy. I use the points originally set by the survey team if I am on a construction site.

Reactions: hedbonker
I'm assuming you are talking about setting GCP's. Ground Control Points? I don't know of any simple, cheap handheld that would give you real accuracy. I use the points originally set by the survey team if I am on a construction site.
Thank you sir!

Your phone and Garmins will not have the accuracy you need.

You need a GNSS rover that supports Multi-Constellation, Multi Frequency RTK and/or PPK. You can get away with Single frequency but it will have short baselines and longer acqusition times.

The cheapest solutions I have found are Polaris and Spark Fun. Both though will need a corrections source to get the accuracy you desire. The source could be a paid RTK/VRS service, PPK logging from NGS CORS stations, or free services that some states have usually from their DOT.

I would pay more and look into Emlids. They are easy to use, accurate enough for drone mapping, can send corrections themselves over radio or even the internet using NTRIP.

Point 1 RTK using the Polaris network is a low cost RTK service that can get down to low centimeter accuracy. But I would look into Trimble and the other various regional services as they can have much denser networks.

• Love
Reactions: hedbonker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164