Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Getting the Proper and Best Education/Instruction

Flying Squirrel

Reaction score
Hello,

With my introduction out of the way, I need your guidance right off the bat. As I do not yet have my 107 in hand, I know that is my first priority.

With that in mind, there are many places locally and online I could get it done. What I would like help in narrowing down is do you recommend getting that education/testing done locally or is online equally as good. In terms of narrowing down who to get this from, what items, questions, variables should I look for in whom to get the 107 from?

Further, do you recommend in person instruction? I have the basics down and plenty of room to practice but wondering if a professional instructor can offer something that I would not be able to learn myself thru flying again and again thru trail and error?

There are probably more questions in this vein I should be asking but right now these are the ones that are occurring to me. If you know of something right off the bat I should pay attention to that i have not brought up, please point that out.

Thank you again all of you in advance for any and all information and insight I so look forward to this field and the many years ahead.

I did in person with our local regional college. I couldn't have been more pleased with it. Basically it went like this......3 days of drone introduction, maintenance, controller intro and flights. Then 2 days of part 107 training from an actual airline pilot. As part of the class we were also supplied a review book with questions covering every topic and also limited access to online 107 testing (i think 5 practice tests) that we could take at our leisure to prep for the 107.
With all that being said, not only did the class make me well prepared to sit for the 107 exam, it made me a much better drone pilot, with a ton of stick time with licensed instructors who are already in the business. It also allowed me to pick their brain on equipment, getting jobs and their knowledge base. So yes, it was great for 107 prep where I could get actual in person feedback from a live, knowledgeable person but it really helped in the long run of networking, taking my videos and photos to the next level and reducing my learning curve in taking my skills to the next level.
So yes..... you could just go online and get info to pass 107 but in person if implemented properly will help you immensely! To me anyone can study and get a107 but to go above and beyond can help separate you from the field. Either way... best of luck on your 107, whichever route you choose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Squirrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC