Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Good to Fly?? Hardly.

MapMaker53

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
This is just a good example of how one needs to be keenly aware of any air traffic occurring in the location one wished to fly. My property resides within a 400' LAANC grid cell that is part of Republic Airport on Long Island. So generally I am cleared to fly to 400' AGL and have never been denied authorization. (Blue dot is my location.) Today, the annual Memorial Day weekend Airshow was held at Jones Beach, featuring the Navy Blue Angels and other aircraft demonstrations -- with a TFR in place. However, I am located outside of the TFR area. I also received authorization to fly up to 400' AGL through LAANC today. So no problem, I'm good to go......Correct? Not really. The performing aircraft were taking off from Republic, Airport and I happen to be located along a straight line between Republic Airport and Jones Beach. And although mostly all of the aircraft appeared to be flying above 400' AGL on their way to the show as they passed overhead, there was a support helicopter that flew back and forth between Jones Beach and Republic at least a dozen times during the day (see flight paths from my "Plane Finder" App) at considerably low altitude. My estimate is the helicopter was flying somewhere between 100'-150' AGL each time as it passed overhead. (See photo taken from my yard.)

Luckily, I've lived here for 32 years and am familiar with the annual airshow, the route the planes take, and how low that support helicopter flies each year. But a new drone operator to the neighborhood, or a drone operator who thinks being outside of a TFR and flying with LAANC authorization is a bright green light to fly -- in this case -- would be very wrong. I'm surprised the LAANC authorization wasn't temporarily turned off this weekend considering how many aircraft were traversing the local sky. BTW.. I immediately cancelled the flight authorization upon receiving it, as I had no intention to fly. I was just curious if it would be granted to me on this day. So lesson to everyone to be aware of aircraft activity in your intended flight area, no matter what authorization you may have.

LAANC Cell.jpgAirshow TFR.jpgcopter flights.jpgcopter.png

MapMaker this sounds like a typical FAA SNAFU. LAANC authorizations are automatic if your request is within the allowed altitudes when their are no restrictions. I'm surprised that the TFR didn't include your area. Wise decision not to fly.

Since I was a crop duster I do fully understand "see and avoid", however for me it was birds, power lines and trees. Besides if I got above 200 feet I couldn't read the road signs. I got into civil aviation back in the late seventies and things were much different back then. I also did a lot of charter work and I always preferred to fly IFR in heavy traffic area's like LAX and SFO. I have seen where many times pilots would go VFR when in reality there seemed to me to be way too much traffic. I know the controllers many times don't like us doing that because it does increase their workload.

I'm not instrument rated. But I concur that in congested airspace like you mention, it's the best way to be safe. Get the controllers to be on the lookout too... Heck, I always tell my passengers to never assume I see everything and if they see air traffic, bring it to my attention in case I hadn't seen it.

Dave, you can always ask for flight following, that way at least ATC is keeping an eye out for you.
I always recommend pilots get IFR rated, at the very least practice flying under the hood, and obviously only with an observer.
Kennedy killed himself, wife and sister in-law due to spatial disorientation and I assume failing to trust his instruments.

Yeah, well aware of flight following. But if they are busy they will deny the request. Then if you really want it can you say that you are a "student pilot" and they may reconsider...🙄
But not always.

No, just tell them you are a crop duster and you get lost above 200 feet. I suppose it depends on the ATC center some of those folks can get pretty touchy at time. I went into Oakland years ago and I'm a land on the numbers guy so my approaches are normally a little low. Had ATC yelling at me because I was too low on the glide slope for them.
Also I got a clearance out of Burbank and ATC read off the clearance so fast I didn't get it. I told him "You lost me after cleared to" I got put at the back of the line.
However you really don't want to ruffle their feathers because they got big brother on their side.
I really recommend all pilots watch or read aviation accident reports and pay attention mainly to the mistake pilots make. Mechanical failures are beyond our control, but stupidity isn't. Also watch Utube and the dumb things some drone pilots do.

Reactions: rx7ward and MikeA
Thanks for the reminder, the Chicago area has it's airshow in a couple weeks and want to remember not even consider flying since I think some of the planes come out of Chicago Executive Airport which likely would put my house right in their flight path.

Reactions: MapMaker53
This is just a good example of how one needs to be keenly aware of any air traffic occurring in the location one wished to fly. My property resides within a 400' LAANC grid cell that is part of Republic Airport on Long Island. So generally I am cleared to fly to 400' AGL and have never been denied authorization. (Blue dot is my location.) Today, the annual Memorial Day weekend Airshow was held at Jones Beach, featuring the Navy Blue Angels and other aircraft demonstrations -- with a TFR in place. However, I am located outside of the TFR area. I also received authorization to fly up to 400' AGL through LAANC today. So no problem, I'm good to go......Correct? Not really. The performing aircraft were taking off from Republic, Airport and I happen to be located along a straight line between Republic Airport and Jones Beach. And although mostly all of the aircraft appeared to be flying above 400' AGL on their way to the show as they passed overhead, there was a support helicopter that flew back and forth between Jones Beach and Republic at least a dozen times during the day (see flight paths from my "Plane Finder" App) at considerably low altitude. My estimate is the helicopter was flying somewhere between 100'-150' AGL each time as it passed overhead. (See photo taken from my yard.)

Luckily, I've lived here for 32 years and am familiar with the annual airshow, the route the planes take, and how low that support helicopter flies each year. But a new drone operator to the neighborhood, or a drone operator who thinks being outside of a TFR and flying with LAANC authorization is a bright green light to fly -- in this case -- would be very wrong. I'm surprised the LAANC authorization wasn't temporarily turned off this weekend considering how many aircraft were traversing the local sky. BTW.. I immediately cancelled the flight authorization upon receiving it, as I had no intention to fly. I was just curious if it would be granted to me on this day. So lesson to everyone to be aware of aircraft activity in your intended flight area, no matter what authorization you may have.

View attachment 3573View attachment 3574View attachment 3575View attachment 3576
Fantastic information. Thanks for sharing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry woodham