Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Greetings from Maine

Blue Chips

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm keenly interested in the use of UAS technology in archaeology. I'm currently involved in a project in which we are searching for a number of 'lost' sites of European settlers who lived and worked in the Merrymeeting Bay area of Maine from the 1600s and onward. In addition to the background research that we've been conducting, we have been using airborne (piloted aircraft-borne) LiDAR survey data and GIS software to produce imagery to help locate features in the landscape that may suggest past human activity and prompt further on-site investigation. For example, LiDAR-derived "bare-earth" imagery is of particular value to us, since we are working in an area with heavy forest/vegetation cover that tends to hide many features in the terrain, and processing the LiDAR point-cloud data allows us to effectively remove most of the vegetation to yield clear images of the surface of the ground. There are many other ways in which LiDAR data can be processed and put to use in archaeology, but I won't go into those now.

That said, we have no immediate plans for drone-borne LiDAR (due to current budget constraints), although hopefully that may change in the future if we secure more funding.

In the meantime, we plan to use drone VIDEO coverage of our test and excavation sites as part of our public outreach and education efforts, as well as an adjunct to our official site reports. Video imagery should be useful in several ways. For instance, it could add visual interest to our public presentations and help generate community enthusiasm about our project, and from a professional/academic standpoint, it could help clarify certain visual characteristics of a site and the surrounding area, which might help researchers understand how those visual characteristics could have been combined with other factors in the original settler's decision-making process to build at a specific location, and so forth.

I recently acquired my Part 107 remote pilot certificate and plan to start flying very soon. We're starting out with a Mavic Air.

{I'm in the process of joining a couple of other UAS forums, so you might see a similar introduction in those if you're a member.)

I welcome any comments and feedback.

Cheers,

Blue Chips

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum, sounds like very interesting research.
Have you checked out Drone Deploy software, it may or may not do what you need but I think it is worth looking at. It is a mapping software that is very accurate.

I appreciate the suggestion! We may take advantage of the DroneDeploy free trial after I get some flying hours under my belt with the drone, so that I can feel comfortable with it. As a freshly-minted drone pilot I'm taking things one step at a time at this point.

I appreciate the suggestion! We may take advantage of the DroneDeploy free trial after I get some flying hours under my belt with the drone, so that I can feel comfortable with it. As a freshly-minted drone pilot I'm taking things one step at a time at this point.

That is very wise on your part. Mapping with Drone Deploy is completely autonomous, you set up the mapping area, the drone does the mapping, all you need to do is change batteries when needed. I've used it extensively for the past year and half and never had a problem. The other thing I found is the support from is very good and they will walk you through setting up your first mapping.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
. ?.

Mapping with Drone Deploy is completely autonomous, you set up the mapping area, the drone does the mapping, all you need to do is change batteries when needed.
It sounds very useful, and it could tie in really well with our LiDAR-based maps and imagery.
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
Thanks. I'm always glad to seek advice from those who blazed a trail ahead of me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome next door in New Hampshire. If you ever need a backup flyer, or observer, or whatever, give me a shout!

Hello all,

I'm keenly interested in the use of UAS technology in archaeology. I'm currently involved in a project in which we are searching for a number of 'lost' sites of European settlers who lived and worked in the Merrymeeting Bay area of Maine from the 1600s and onward. In addition to the background research that we've been conducting, we have been using airborne (piloted aircraft-borne) LiDAR survey data and GIS software to produce imagery to help locate features in the landscape that may suggest past human activity and prompt further on-site investigation. For example, LiDAR-derived "bare-earth" imagery is of particular value to us, since we are working in an area with heavy forest/vegetation cover that tends to hide many features in the terrain, and processing the LiDAR point-cloud data allows us to effectively remove most of the vegetation to yield clear images of the surface of the ground. There are many other ways in which LiDAR data can be processed and put to use in archaeology, but I won't go into those now.

That said, we have no immediate plans for drone-borne LiDAR (due to current budget constraints), although hopefully that may change in the future if we secure more funding.

In the meantime, we plan to use drone VIDEO coverage of our test and excavation sites as part of our public outreach and education efforts, as well as an adjunct to our official site reports. Video imagery should be useful in several ways. For instance, it could add visual interest to our public presentations and help generate community enthusiasm about our project, and from a professional/academic standpoint, it could help clarify certain visual characteristics of a site and the surrounding area, which might help researchers understand how those visual characteristics could have been combined with other factors in the original settler's decision-making process to build at a specific location, and so forth.

I recently acquired my Part 107 remote pilot certificate and plan to start flying very soon. We're starting out with a Mavic Air.

{I'm in the process of joining a couple of other UAS forums, so you might see a similar introduction in those if you're a member.)

I welcome any comments and feedback.

Cheers,

Blue Chips
Welcome Blue Chips ... impossible to run out of things to film here (I live in the midcoast area also). Check out www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com for some lovely Maine vignettes ...

Best,

Welcome Blue Chips ... impossible to run out of things to film here (I live in the midcoast area also). Check out www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com for some lovely Maine vignettes ...
Thanks, Avocet. I enjoyed looking at your great portfolio...really nice website, too! Since you're in the general neighborhood, maybe we'll cross paths some time.
Regards,
Blue Chips

Last edited:
Thanks LChips ... there aren't a lot of us up here "in the corner". If you need any help or such, be sure to reach out. Difficult to find a VO up here too!

Best,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV