Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Handheld Radio Recommendations

SteveBCH

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a handheld radio for a commercial drone pilot to monitor local frequencies? I think it would also be useful as a backup to be able to quickly contact a control tower or airstrip admin in the unlikely, but possible, event of a flyway if cellphone service is poor. Thanks.

I use an Icon A25. Make sure you have the necessary aeronautical radio certification. In Canada, the official preference is for phone calls rather than radio comms.

I have a Sporty's PJ2. Very simple unit, punch in a freq and listen. I work near a moderately busy airport a lot, just outside the Class E airspace. Always nice to know what they are up to on CTAF, rarely are they very low at that distance but I hear chatter I know to keep a extra close lookout.

I'm using the Icom IC-A16, it works pretty well. If you are going to transmit, be sure to get the license. Also I can assure you the folks in the control tower don't want you calling unless it is very urgent, or you just want to rattle their cage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143