Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Hello from Minneapolis, MN

Peter G

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a high school engineering & robotics teacher and will be teaching a drone course this coming fall. The main goal is to prep students for the RP exam, and I plan to include basic flight skills, photo/videography techniques, and coding also.

We'll be using Tellos mostly, but I'll also get the kids some hands-on time with a Mavic Air 1, Mavic 2 Pro, and an M100.

The M100 was donated to us, and I'm having some trouble with it, but I'll save that for another post.

Regards.

Hi Peter,

I'm excited to hear that such a thing exists here in Mpls area! My daughter did science olympiad for the first time this past year and I was impressed with how cool that was. I volunteered at the wright flight station for one of their competitions, and <sigh> I wish I could have coached the kids more instead of just running stop watch, but it's fun to see the learning process unfold (or sometimes drop like a brick, but hopefully that's a learning process too.) I work in the UAV lab at the U of MN. I don't know how things will shake out with our health crisis and university/school/state policies, but if things do free up at some point, it would be fun to invite your group to see our lab and some of our research projects. Good luck with your course this fall!

Curt.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Hi Peter,

I'm excited to hear that such a thing exists here in Mpls area! My daughter did science olympiad for the first time this past year and I was impressed with how cool that was. I volunteered at the wright flight station for one of their competitions, and <sigh> I wish I could have coached the kids more instead of just running stop watch, but it's fun to see the learning process unfold (or sometimes drop like a brick, but hopefully that's a learning process too.) I work in the UAV lab at the U of MN. I don't know how things will shake out with our health crisis and university/school/state policies, but if things do free up at some point, it would be fun to invite your group to see our lab and some of our research projects. Good luck with your course this fall!

Curt.

Thanks for the invite! I'll def take you up on that. Do you happen to work in Shepherd? I took a small class on a field trip there last summer and got tours of several labs, including the two story drone space. Char Psihos was our point of contact.

Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to learning about growing a small business and developing/maintaining customer relations as I hope to get small local gigs for the kids.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for the invite! I'll def take you up on that. Do you happen to work in Shepherd? I took a small class on a field trip there last summer and got tours of several labs, including the two story drone space. Char Psihos was our point of contact.

I've met Char a couple times and she is top notch. We are right next door in Akerman hall. My former CSci adviser is one of the professors that forms that robotics lab in Shepherd, small world. Our AEM lab has traditionally focused more on fixed wing flight, but after some arm twisting, we have started to dip our toes into multirotors. I have been flying some DJI quads in support of some invasive plant survey projects, and we kind of went overboard and developed our own mapping/stitching tools in python (open-source). I found someone here that didn't immediately get a glassy stare when I tried talking about mapping software internals, and I stuck around because there are interesting discussions here from time to time (and I can use plenty of help running a DJI drone and some of the goofy apps you need for flying surveys.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143