Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

High Winds No Problem

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
Website
orbisdroneservices.com
Last couple days we've had pretty decent Spring winds. Strong front came through and the winds have been out of the North, 15-20 with gusts. Yesterday, 18-25 with gusts to 40, today 16-20 with gusts to 36. Yesterday, I had a roof to shoot and property video (legal evidence) and the M2P handled it like a champ. It was right on the edge though, as a few gusts had to just ride out, and a couple video shots had to be repeated, but after eating 3 batteries, all good. Today, I had a lakehouse to shoot, with the lake to the north of the property, white-capping. Again, the M2P handled it like a champ. When I finished, I spun the bird 180 and got a shot of the lake.

High Wind Shoot.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
I am happy to use the 2Pro in 30 knots no problem. That is for photography not video. I am not versed in the problems of video just yet - I am put off by not knowing how to get the audio to go with the video. Video with music is done to death, realistic audio to match what is in shot is what I have tried to capture and it hasn't been very successful yet! I need to try getting some kind of good audio recording devices. The time and faff it adds will be huge, I realise, but hopefully it would be worth it. Keeping the wind noise out from specific recordings though, it might be tricky.

That's impressive. I have been amazed how well the Inspire 2 does in the wind.
That little M2P continues to impress me in so many ways. Rapid deployment, rock solid comms, extremely stable flight, fantastic imagery, small footprint gets into and out of tight spaces...plus the Smart Controller is brilliantly designed. All in all a great solution.

@KingRat are you talking about onboard audio? Just find a sound clip of a "swarm of hornets" and lay that in at 100% volume....job done.

Reactions: KingRat
That little M2P continues to impress me in so many ways. Rapid deployment, rock solid comms, extremely stable flight, fantastic imagery, small footprint gets into and out of tight spaces...plus the Smart Controller is brilliantly designed. All in all a great solution.

@KingRat are you talking about onboard audio? Just find a sound clip of a "swarm of hornets" and lay that in at 100% volume....job done.
I was thinking of audio to suit the subject. So fo instance a film of a horse and cart going up the road - you would want panting breath of the horse, hooves clip-clopping, the squeak of springs and the rumble of wheels... for instance. Possibly the crack of a whip too.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Added a M2P a few months ago, and I've also been impressed with how it handles wind. I haven't done any empirical testing, but I get the impression it's at least as stable as my Inspires in winds into the 20s. Only downside of the M2P compared to the Inspires is that I have had a few instances of props in the camera view with the M2P leaning into the wind.

Added a M2P a few months ago, and I've also been impressed with how it handles wind. I haven't done any empirical testing, but I get the impression it's at least as stable as my Inspires in winds into the 20s. Only downside of the M2P compared to the Inspires is that I have had a few instances of props in the camera view with the M2P leaning into the wind.
That's interesting. I suppose it depends upon the direction of wind and angle of the light/subject. Something for the rest of us to be aware of. Thanks for the heads up!

I was thinking of audio to suit the subject. So fo instance a film of a horse and cart going up the road - you would want panting breath of the horse, hooves clip-clopping, the squeak of springs and the rumble of wheels... for instance. Possibly the crack of a whip too.
Foley effects.

In video editing, the sound effects you talk about are called Foley sound effects. You can edit these effects into your video. I use Davinci Resolve to edit these effects from the Fairlight page.

Reactions: BigAl07
In video editing, the sound effects you talk about are called Foley sound effects. You can edit these effects into your video. I use Davinci Resolve to edit these effects from the Fairlight page.
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain. My thoughts though are that to obtain them is a lot of work for no additional revenue. The difference good sound effects make is marked, the visuals can be spoiled by poor sound or none at all. I did make an attempt at a bike meeting at the pub one night - it isn't good but it does provide a suitable example of what I was trying to write.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143