Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

hire me for the day?

I thought I sent a reply yesterday but I don't see it. thanks for all the great info and setting a price in my head. I wanted the job/exposure and sorry to disappoint and low ball but I accepted the job for $60 an hour. this is going to be a great learning experience for me and I am going to ask if I could post any photos or video and I'll get back to you guys. thanks for your help. The meeting went well today and the contract was signed, so off to work @ 6 am until.

I thought I sent a reply yesterday but I don't see it. thanks for all the great info and setting a price in my head. I wanted the job/exposure and sorry to disappoint and low ball but I accepted the job for $60 an hour. this is going to be a great learning experience for me and I am going to ask if I could post any photos or video and I'll get back to you guys. thanks for your help. The meeting went well today and the contract was signed, so off to work @ 6 am until.
Thats good news now you have your foot in the door so to speak and if you can post some of your work later

Good luck with the job! And while you're not making the suggested amounts in dollars the experience and exposure can pay dividends down the road.

Reactions: Linval Ebanks
Best of all worlds, as the post processing is a huge profit leak!

It is, if you are a studio house, shooting a mini production or advertisement, but most of construction and inspection (personally speaking) raw data are collected or turned over.

Even in film production nowadays, companies hire drone operators to capture a perspective and expect to turn over raw contents, but I don’t know the verbiage of the contract, content is probably calculated into the mix.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Various hourly rates suggested, but as mentioned greatly depends on location, scope of work, and I’d add 1 more, the level of client to a degree... residential owner request, Farmer, Construction, Architectural.

Reading @Fred Garvin suggestion for base hourly wage and to calculate one’s monthly income needs was a good calc for base business economics. But I questioned the validity of sUAV as a sole proprietorship, compared to a multi-employee organization or corporation offering sUAV services and dispatching personnel.

That made me ponder how many are doing sUAV business as a FT sole business (small LLC with 1-2 extras: kids, wife, friend); or the percentage where sUAV is a component add-in to existing business, and lastly a PT shop or a Retired “keep busy extra cash” shop?

The larger Organization will have high rates, but also staff that isn’t productive 100%... lucky if 60% in many businesses now a days... walk into a BestBuy... 50% staff in groups chatting and laughing... or into a service shop, many sitting waiting to be called into action. As mentioned, the organizations are covering benefits too, something not always consistent in small shops.

For those doing the sole business of sUAV, how many hours do you normally average on-site for billable hours? Truly 40-60 hrs a week in sUAV on-site work? What region or city is primary. Is family supported by business or does Spouse or Partner provide around 50% as well. Cinematography contracting with Production Studios, I classify more cinematic business than sUAV.

For many sUAV shops, it’s a PT or supplement offering. The retired, may be extra income to support the habit of spending.

For many in a more conservative or simplistic areas, this type of business is cultivating not only the business but the desire for the business to the area. For those in larger metro or competitive growing markets, this probably sounds a bit off or unrealistic. Back up to initial aviation services; smaller sections of the country had no need for airports. Selling aerial BW Photos wasn’t a desire, nor even understood why someone would want one.

Many areas the sUAV business are just beginning, with very low receptiveness. If I have a Farmer that wants to explore crop analysis or pasture stock monitoring, or a small / large builder that normally puts an interval camera(s) on a pole over looking the construction... sUAV isn’t a demand, a need, and normally not even imagined as useful until discussions to introduce... and even then, usefulness is zero until curiosity to explore turns into desire to collect data.

The price to cover time, hardware, cameras, travel, etc isn’t close to being recouped or even marginalized as any profit, let alone an supportable income. To jump in as a self operating business in these areas would introduce a Chap 7, 11 or 13 Bankruptcy in short order.

For these regions or areas, it’s more of a potential side-business supported by other sources of primary income. The hardware investment covered by other income sources provides a yearly deduction to help recovery partial investment expense. The business is more salesman to introduce product and “sale” the need to the few receptive and help stimulate “word of mouth” to other businesses. At this stage, it’s not a self substaned business... you may be productively working but the business on paper isn’t productive when all factors considered. At this stage the goal is to introduce, invite and make some income but not concerned with profit. This stage the wage can be practically anything and used for advertising write-off.

The future goal is to have a desired sought after quality product... which humorously will be about the same time others (leaches) jump in as they notice a “growing” market with minimal investment. This is when one hopes, all the time to develop work, name recognition, knowing the clientele expectations, etc provide the status as market leader in the area.

Compensation can be all across the board depending on many factors and a low start-up rate in one region doesn’t necessarily negatively impact or harm compensation in other regions. Inversely valid, expecting a profitable wage in a region that currently places minimal value isn’t obtainable.
A developing region needs to develop, being on the ground floor can sometimes have benefit.

Reactions: dronecyclops
A shorter version might say it’s a lot easier to make good money selling products and services to sUAV operators than it is for sUAV operators to make any money selling their services.

If you’re a successful operator you either established yourself several years ago, or have developed a niche market, or are well connected with larger businesses that provide some form of assist in marketing you or your product.

A shorter version might say it’s a lot easier to make good money selling products and services to sUAV operators than it is for sUAV operators to make any money selling their services.

If you’re a successful operator you either established yourself several years ago, or have developed a niche market, or are well connected with larger businesses that provide some form of assist in marketing you or your product.
That's One summation... and true, but isn't that one true with All Tools for the craftman? Back in the GM days the SnapOn & Matco trucks really liked me.

My view was more of a response to posts consistantly read that anything under $xx is too low, it's a rate that hurts the industry, that's giving it away, low wages state skills. All of which might apply in a region with ample business opportunities, not so much for a region not developed... MidWest isn't per'say Hick but they are very conservative and question the need when objectives already being met.

If I understand your 2nd point, that's a little raw & narrow for the Youngster or the Retired Ole' Fart on new venture. You're essentially stating unless you've previouly established your business, know the inside rotory track, or have one heck of a nitch product you're outta luck in modern time. Again, I'd agree with ya partially... IF in an established market region (physical or Internet) with competition. Not necessarily true or applicable in a new market region. The Vaccumm Salesman stereotype was successful if positioned in a new market... until saturated.

The "Other" variables are determination & motivation. If goal was to build a fortune in rapid time, I'd probably need to consider moving. But to build an enjoyable challenging business in a relatively low stress environment... patience allows growth.

I'd still like to here the business scope of various shops... I'd guess by all the historical references, many are retired working for supplemental income.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rats404