Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

How to break up one large mission into smaller parts ? DP ? or PIX4D ?

copterockter

Reaction score
The following i would like to try and do with dronedeploy please can someone help.

I've been pondering this idea for long now as it will have it's benefits in many situations, however i just don't know how well it will work ?

My concern is firstly, how is the best way to do it ? Is there perhaps a instructional tutorial ?

I'm worried about overlap issues and will i get all the footage and will the software recognize where to add the footage from the last ending point.

for example, say i spilt a mapped AOI in half, map out half of it with the drone.
How can i add/draw the other half of the waypoints, without any problems, ie the lines and overlap is automatically drawn, who's to say the lines will be exactly spaced out in the second waypoint draw you create., will it not be a mismatch to the first half ?

Then what if the wind changes (should i go back the next day to do the second half) and i need to change the flight direction, the grid will change from the geid that was flown the day before, obviously the photos will now be "rotated" as the drone is taking pictures in a different direction.

Below is a control point plan for a 17.5 acres tract of land we fly frequently. It can be split up into four separate segments, but it is a lot faster to fly the whole thing as one job and hot swap the batteries. If I break it up into for segments, I allow for at least 50 feet of overlap with the other segments. It does not matter if the flight paths overlap. The software is smart enough to stitch the images together.

Attachments

• Flight Planning_EP.pdf
    207.3 KB · Views: 15
[QUOTE="copterockter, post: 12237, member: 1415"I'm worried about overlap issues and will i get all the footage and will the software recognize where to add the footage from the last ending point.

for example, say i spilt a mapped AOI in half, map out half of it with the drone.
How can i add/draw the other half of the waypoints, without any problems, ie the lines and overlap is automatically drawn, who's to say the lines will be exactly spaced out in the second waypoint draw you create., will it not be a mismatch to the first half ?

Then what if the wind changes (should i go back the next day to do the second half) and i need to change the flight direction, the grid will change from the geid that was flown the day before, obviously the photos will now be "rotated" as the drone is taking pictures in a different direction.[/QUOTE]
Creating orthophoto mosaics is all about using overlapping images.
Too much overlap is never a problem.
Not enough is always a problem.
Just make sure there's an overlapped area and the software will have no problem.
The same goes for photo orientation.
Dronedeploy will take photos while the drone is turning at the ends of rows and the software has no problem dealing with this.

Reactions: R Martin
Too much overlap is never a problem.
Not enough is always a problem.
Just make sure there's an overlapped area and the software will have no problem.
The same goes for photo orientation.
Dronedeploy will take photos while the drone is turning at the ends of rows and the software has no problem dealing with this.

Well said.

Be carreful with Drone Deploy I have Business Plan and I am allowed to upload 3000 pictures maximum.
I succeed to fly a 500 ha area and the software was smart enough to stitch all the pictures together even if sometimes when I run out of battery the drone did not finish a line but after you land the drone start where it stopped catching pictures.
I was just frustrated because I could not export my 4 cm resolution mosaic because the map produce by Drone Deploy was to big so sometimes it's better to have tiny tiles but with better resolution and you can stitch the tiles together with GIS software.

I do exactly what you are planning and have very good results. At first I mapped UC Merced with one map, however they now have kind of split the job site by have two of the new building occupied by students. I wasn't able to get a decent map without creating two separate maps. I just made sure that the second map overlapped the end row of the first map.
Once it was stitched map comes out looking as though it was one.

I'll see if I can post the two maps to show you.

I’ve done thousands of acres on multiple days with multiple battery packs w/ Drone Deploy without any problems. Just be sure to finish the flight/ battery pack on a way point. Otherwise it will fly the last line again. For processing drone deploy does fine as does pix4d.

Nik

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV