Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

I sing myself to sleep every night to John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads" which means I must be from...

EERDrone

Reaction score
Website
www.flyoverimages.com
West "By God" Virginia, as they call it these parts. Specifically Martinsburg, WV, which is located in the State's Eastern Panhandle -- sandwiched by Pennsylvania and Maryland just to the north, Virginia to the south, and a stone's throw to Washington, DC to the southeast.

Have been flying a DJI Spark since June of 2017 (my first UAV), but recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian and am in the process of forming "Flyover Images", my new aerial photography/videography business serving WV's Eastern Panhandle as well as the border areas of the states listed above. Obtained my FAA Part 107 license back in July and just received my FAA Airspace Authorization for Martinsburg's (KMRB) Class Delta airspace earlier this month. This new venture will complement my 35+ year career as a Wedding DJ & Master of Ceremonies as Rick Rohn Disc Jockey Productions. My wife is the Chief Professional Officer for all three of our area Boys & Girls Clubs (Berkeley, Morgan, & Jefferson Counties, WV), and our daughter is a 2016 graduate of West Virginia University, and continues to live and work in Morgantown. We're a family of "Mountaineers" and love our WVU Football and Basketball :)

Currently trying to squeeze-in as many "training flights" as possible with my P4P Obsidian as the winter weather approaches, and working to get everything in-place business-wise (navigating the commercial drone insurance marketplace has been an eye-opening experience LOL!). Very much looking forward to the insights here, and learning "what works"... and what doesn't!

Last edited:
Welcome EERDrone. I got special clearance at KMRB last year and I flew the P&G site since it was dirt, literally a rock throw from the tower.... Just finished this summer with my last flight there... beautiful site. We are in Clarksburg and enjoyed eating at Cinco de Mayo!! Glad to you are here.

Welcome EERDrone. I got special clearance at KMRB last year and I flew the P&G site since it was dirt, literally a rock throw from the tower.... Just finished this summer with my last flight there... beautiful site. We are in Clarksburg and enjoyed eating at Cinco de Mayo!! Glad to you are here.
Circling back around to this post after having introduced myself and then not making another appearance for the past two weeks ha! ha!...

Great to see another Mountain Stater on the forum :) Seeing your post, the first obvious question that comes to mind is how'd you receive "special clearance" to fly the P&G site which is in a "0' altitude" quadrant in KMRB's Class D airspace? Would love to know the process you went through if you don't mind sharing, because I'm looking to access several 0 altitude quads covering downtown Martinsburg as well as areas near Berkeley Medical Center.

Checked-out your website which is very well-done! Love the information on your "Real Estate Media" page and they way you have your packages arranged and priced. Very helpful to someone like me who's just getting started in the biz!

Shoot me a message the next time you're going to be over in the Eastern Panhandle and the food & beverages at Cinco de Mayo in Inwood will be on me :)

Great to see another Mountain Stater on the forum :) Seeing your post, the first obvious question that comes to mind is how'd you receive "special clearance" to fly the P&G site which is in a "0' altitude" quadrant in KMRB's Class D airspace? Would love to know the process you went through if you don't mind sharing, because I'm looking to access several 0 altitude quads covering downtown Martinsburg as well as areas near Berkeley Medical Center.

It was pretty "special" to me at the time, but it was just an Airspace Authorization through the FAA website. It took 3 months to get back in early 2017. The LANCE system is the default now for commercial approvals, but I would imagine if you needed clearance in 0 altitude areas, you could still try the FAA website. There are great resources online to see how it is done now. Just remember, it's all about safety now. :) When I did it the process was different... I actually was able to talk to a representative for the FAA after sending in my application. It ultimately comes down to the Tower's approval because the FAA application process requires them to call the tower and seek special clearance for your app. I was told by the FAA rep "don't try for an airspace Waiver, apply for an Authorization." Somehow this may make a difference?

Clarksburg/Bridgeport airspace is covered by an airport and it is frustrating to see so many TV commercials with drone footage that was done illegally. It has been almost impossible to compete with wildcats that will do a job for nothing.

Thanks for the compliment... and the invite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM