Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is aircraft maintenance for me?

Charliecharles

Reaction score
I got an offer for an aviation technician program in Toronto and I am very intetested in aviation maintenance. I am really into mechanical things and i would say new movies on netflix i have a knack for it. But i also hear it's hard 123 movies to get a job and of course my preconceptions of being a mechanic are probably off. movies So could you guys tell me what it is like to work as an aircraft mechanic and how hard it is to become one? Thanks in advance.
Thank you

Last edited:
Probly different in Canada. I was a military mechanic and got my A&P cert. for the afterlife. I did a short stint with US Air as a mech but within a year got picked up by a DOD contractor immediately after 9-11.

Problem at least in the US is that its unionized in many places. In my case I had guys without the experience or training I had, making more money than me because they were there longer. They also got shift/shop selection priority regardless of whether they were a better fit. If they were given 4 hours for a job...they'd use all of it, even if it only took an hour. I could do a job right, in half the time it would take them to screw it up.

A good mechanic is a good mechanic. What makes it hard is the regulatory compliance and documentation part of it. It's quite complex compared to an auto mechanic, for obvious reasons.

It is a good career path if you're young. Just be prepared to start at the bottom, and to be reminded of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: R Martin
The first thing you will learn to use is safety wire pliers. Several of my friends work for United out of SFO, it is a great job for someone that doesn't want to work too hard. It is a union shop and the benefits are very good, the retirement even better. My uncle was an AI for United. Personally I think it would be a great career.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143