Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Is it necessary to order a replacement 107 certificate card if you move to a new address?

RickMC

Reaction score
I updated my address in the FAA registry system, but is it necessary for me to order a new 107 card? As long as your current address is in the official system, does it matter what the card says?

Edit: Sorry, meant to post this in the 107 regulations forum.

Yes I know. I already updated my address in the system. But do I need to order a new 107 card that shows the new address?

Sorry, I was on my phone so I went by the thread title more than anything. As noted above, getting a replacement card is at your option.

Well I might as well post while we are on the subject... Apparently, I am in need of a new 107 card. Went to take the renewal exam last November and was told I couldn't take it when I presented my card because my card "was no good". Huh???? I like displaying my card on a lanyard while flying so I look more 'official' to the public, and had punched a hole in it to do so. The hole was in a location that did not interfer with any information on the card. The exam proctor informed me that the FAA destroys a card by punching a hole through the card's hologram -- which I had not done. I explained that in all of my studies I had never read ANYWHERE that you were not allowed to punch a hole in blank spot on the plastic card. The exam proctor then made a few phone calls to the FAA explaining exactly where I had punched the hole, and I was ultimately allowed to take the exam. The proctor did advise me to apply for a replacement card to avoid the same issue the next time. I have yet to do that, but will. I'll just use one of those clear plastic card holders on the lanyard this time.

btw.. I also hang my AMA, local State Park Flying Permit, and FAA Drone Registration cards from the same lanyard for quick access if questioned by a local authority. And, yes, I punched a hole in each one.

Last edited:
Reactions: NicknMorty
I keep everything tucked away and out of sight. Nowhere in the regs does it state a certificate or registration must be on display. They only need be presented upon request of law enforcement and the FAA.

Well I might as well post while we are on the subject... Apparently, I am in need of a new 107 card. Went to take the renewal exam last November and was told I couldn't take it when I presented my card because my card "was no good". Huh???? I like displaying my card on a lanyard while flying so I look more 'official' to the public, and had punched a hole in it to do so. The hole was in a location that did not interfer with any information on the card. The exam proctor informed me that the FAA destroys a card by punching a hole through the card's hologram -- which I had not done. I explained that in all of my studies I had never read ANYWHERE that you were not allowed to punch a hole in blank spot on the plastic card. The exam proctor then made a few phone calls to the FAA explaining exactly where I had punched the hole, and I was ultimately allowed to take the exam. The proctor did advise me to apply for a replacement card to avoid the same issue the next time. I have yet to do that, but will. I'll just use one of those clear plastic card holders on the lanyard this time.

btw.. I also hang my AMA, local State Park Flying Permit, and FAA Drone Registration cards from the same lanyard for quick access if questioned by a local authority. And, yes, I punched a hole in each one.

You might contact your local FSDO office and ask for an official ruling in writing. If they say a new card is required, do whatcha got to do. If they say the hole is of no consequence, you can take their written ruling back to the test center. (They may even be willing to call ahead on your behalf.) Good luck!

Reactions: MapMaker53

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rats404