Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

I've just seen an increase in prices for FAA Part 107 training. Have you? Ya another dead horse...

rolling56

Reaction score
The other day on the local news they had a segment on the local Uni (Missouri State University Go Bears!) here having classes for $800 for 2 days. There is another place/company in Springfield,MO that will show you how to fly a drone for $250.

Seems WAY out of line and it has taken me awhile to calm down since this segment aired July 9,2018. Unless they are teaching how to file for waivers and such but then i don't know. That would take a day or so in itself but i doubt that would be included. They are just there to learn what they can in 2 days and try to pass the exam for $800.

What are you fellow 107 pilots seeing in your towns/cities?

Edit:
Mod move this if needed. Wasn't sure if here or the 107 sub forum was best TIA!

Last edited:
It depends on what they are teaching, how they are teaching, and how long they are teaching. We each Emergency Services sUAS operations and those #'s are not out of line at all but it's intensive, hands-on, and high stress instruction.

I'd guess that $800 for 2 days of "hobby" instruction is way out of the park.

For $800 I expect not only complete 107 exam preparation, hands on flying, training on FAA waivers & authorizations, plus continental breakfast, and lunch each day. :D

I'm in the wrong business, but I would want dinner also. Think I'll go into the education business, not.

Depends on if you go to a school, large company, small guy with little overhead. I usually tailor all training to the needs and abilities of students, and charge for my time, and equipment rental. Of course if the customer is a hobby, commercial, senor, or whatever, I reserve the right to help those i like more!

Reactions: BigAl07
My first paid flying job was as a CFI. There is a lot more to teaching than some may realize, it requires patience and strong communication skills, as well as skill at whatever your teaching.

If I were to teach someone to fly a drone (ATTI mode), I would want a buddy box so I had control over in case the student lost control. Also a safe place to fly that is absent of people. Personally I think this could be a great thing for some of our disabled veterans, and I would teach any of them for free.

Reactions: BigAl07
My first paid flying job was as a CFI. There is a lot more to teaching than some may realize, it requires patience and strong communication skills, as well as skill at whatever your teaching.

If I were to teach someone to fly a drone (ATTI mode), I would want a buddy box so I had control over in case the student lost control. Also a safe place to fly that is absent of people. Personally I think this could be a great thing for some of our disabled veterans, and I would teach any of them for free.

Very well said. Instructing is not for everyone and believe it or not, some people shouldn't be teaching at all let alone aviation.

I started "instructing" R/C flight while I was still in highschool and initially we had to "hand off" the transmitter back and forth. Most of the time we were able to make transition safely but sometimes there was a hiccup and it didn't happen in time "CRUNCH". Then came the Buddy Box... that made a WORLD of difference and great reduced the # of student crashes. We still had to stay on our toes and be able to intercept the aircraft in usually the worse case attitude w/o over stressing the airframe and causes a catastrophic failure trying to save the aircraft (Had this happen and the aircraft did a YARD DART into the steeple on a church...OUCH). Then along came Flight Sims and wireless buddy box only making life easier for student and instructor. Even with all the "training wheels" we had we still had to be very good pilots but also be ambassadors and be able to speak "flying" in a way that the student can easily understand.

Personally I think this could be a great thing for some of our disabled veterans, and I would teach any of them for free.

DITTO! I agree 100%

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905