Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Just passed test and ready to start a business

That is a very open ended question that probably would get the best answer from a business lawyer. If you are going to be in business, IMHO, you should have some type of relationship with an attorney.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Here in Virginia, registering a new business is very simple. Virginia has one of most lenient environments for businesses. Having said that, I do not know all the steps required in California, but small businesses require one very important measure, no matter which way you decide to register, and this is to protect you personally and your assets from legal exposure. Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) provide a business structure that can combine the pass-through taxation of a partnership or sole proprietorship with the limited liability of a corporation. LLCs are relatively simple to register and for the most part, you can do this without legal representation. When I started my drone business, I had the LLC registered with all requiring entities in less than one hour. And that included registering the company name etc. The cost for all registration documents were around $150. In Cali, the cost is significantly higher. You have probably already researched the process, but there are some helpful sites in California that illustrate the required steps: Good Luck!!

I personally like an LLC. Say you carry 1 mil insurance, if your drone should injure someone that million dollars could be gone in no time at all, with an LLC your personal property is protected, as noted above get advice from a lawyer that specializes in business and corporate law.

Even though I am in England (mother England, not New England!) this was very useful. My business was started before the internet was made available for the masses and when E6 film was the recording medium, consequently I know very little about computers and the internet. I am a anything but technologically savvy - I struggle working my mobile phone, it does texts and phone calls but that is about it, I don't have any internet on it, or if I do I dn't know how to access it.
The second video about how to set up a website was particularly interesting, especially as my business has run very successfully for the past 37 years on word of mouth alone. I don't even have a business card, such was my name in the publishing industry, which is where the majority of my work came from. Now, however, magazines have become an irrelevance, my free advertising with every feature that was published, or every job I did for a magazine that also spun off into a commercial contact for the people I was featuring has more or less come to an end. I am having to start from scratch, so this is all new to me. Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Since the OP used the phrase "start a business", I thought that I would pass on a link to an advice video. Sure, there is plenty of advice about starting a business, and about starting a business with the assumption that you have, or intend to purchase a "drone" (like some other posts on this thread). However the approach in this April 2021 video by Shopify should help with stepping back a bit to sort through possibilities and get closer to what might sell in some volume, "near enough" to your home base, and at some level of financial profit. No doubt there are other, similar videos out there. (I have no connection with Shopify.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker