Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

LAANC Airspace Authorization at Class D airport

Telecam

Reaction score
Website
www.telecamfilms.com
One of my client is an aircraft manufacturer at a Class D airport. From time to time, I am in need to film their aircrafts on the ramp, taxiway or doing short hovers or flights. Until LAANC was put in place, I had been pretty successful in obtaining airspace authorizations through the FAA manual authorization process. It worked especially well in my case because it was flexible and generous in the time period covered. I could obtain an authorization extending over several months which allowed me to work around unforeseen weather conditions and aircraft preparedness. With my authorization approved, I would always contact airport operations and ATC the day prior to the flight and on the day of the flight for clearance. For the past two months, all my airspace authorizations requests through the FAA portal have been denied advising me to now file though LAANC. At first, I thought that was a great step to expedite authorizations but I have now a much more reserved opinion of the change. Although convenient and somewhat a faster process (you can access LAANC process through apps like Airmap...), you only get authorized one day at a time. So, if you are working on a project that spans over days or months, you'll have to file an authorization through LAANC for every single day you may have to fly. There is no way to duplicate an existing authorization request so, that is a lot of re-typing. Then, the FAA says it will attempt to respond within 30 days but decision may not come until 24 hrs before the request flight time which makes planning difficult if not impossible. All the authorizations requests I filed through LAANC recently have been denied and turned hover to the FAA manual authorization process. I am told it may be because the flight is located on a "0" cell (airport facilities) and that ATC chose to automatically referred those requests back to the FAA manual authorization portal... So, that pretty much puts you in an endless loop. I talked to the airport ATC a couple times trying to understand the LAANC process better and how much automation is built into it and they too seem to be a bit at lost about how the process really works. The most frustrating of all is that they are telling me that because it is a commercial flight, I have to obtain an authorization from the FAA. They say they have the authority to authorize non-commercial flights only. Anyone having a similar situation?

Update... with no resolution in sight, we ended up hiring a helicopter with a camera rig which the airport had no issues with because it fits within their standard operations. In reality this presents a greater danger and complicates the overall operation not too mention the cost. But who cares right?...

Reactions: BigAl07
Update... with no resolution in sight, we ended up hiring a helicopter with a camera rig which the airport had no issues with because it fits within their standard operations. In reality this presents a greater danger and complicates the overall operation not too mention the cost. But who cares right?...

Thanks for reporting back. Sometimes we've got to back up and PUNT in order to get the job done.

To say that an uncertified sUAS is a lesser danger than a licensed commercial operator flying a certified aircraft isn't really accurate but I see your point.

Contact your app developer as a suggestion to see if they are allowed or can use a template for your LAANC applications to save for a later time. Or even uploaded from a computer? cut n paste is always my friend!

I wonder if a VO could use a handheld radio for instant communication and updates on traffic with the tower. That could put tower a little more at ease with your operation. but now coordination with a call sign would be required.

I wonder if a VO could use a handheld radio for instant communication and updates on traffic with the tower. That could put tower a little more at ease with your operation. but now coordination with a call sign would be required.

Absolutely in a listen/monitor only role. Many of us utilize handheld to monitor traffic etc.

Thanks for reporting back. Sometimes we've got to back up and PUNT in order to get the job done.

To say that an uncertified sUAS is a lesser danger than a licensed commercial operator flying a certified aircraft isn't really accurate but I see your point.

I am a very experienced Part 107 certified pilot. For this particular operation with fairly complex logistics, a ground crew of 20 and a limited window, I truly believe the use of a sUAS with a certified pilot is a safer and lesser footprint option than the helicopter. When applying for the air space authorizations, we always detail our operations thoroughly including lost link / fly away procedures, CRM, etc... And yes, we always monitor ground operations and ATC radio channels when working at an airport.

Today, we shot a rehearsal and at the end of the day, the client flight ops decided to scrap the helo because it annoyed the ground crew and kept getting in the shots of ground photogs....

One of my client is an aircraft manufacturer at a Class D airport. From time to time, I am in need to film their aircrafts on the ramp, taxiway or doing short hovers or flights. Until LAANC was put in place, I had been pretty successful in obtaining airspace authorizations through the FAA manual authorization process. It worked especially well in my case because it was flexible and generous in the time period covered. I could obtain an authorization extending over several months which allowed me to work around unforeseen weather conditions and aircraft preparedness. With my authorization approved, I would always contact airport operations and ATC the day prior to the flight and on the day of the flight for clearance. For the past two months, all my airspace authorizations requests through the FAA portal have been denied advising me to now file though LAANC. At first, I thought that was a great step to expedite authorizations but I have now a much more reserved opinion of the change. Although convenient and somewhat a faster process (you can access LAANC process through apps like Airmap...), you only get authorized one day at a time. So, if you are working on a project that spans over days or months, you'll have to file an authorization through LAANC for every single day you may have to fly. There is no way to duplicate an existing authorization request so, that is a lot of re-typing. Then, the FAA says it will attempt to respond within 30 days but decision may not come until 24 hrs before the request flight time which makes planning difficult if not impossible. All the authorizations requests I filed through LAANC recently have been denied and turned hover to the FAA manual authorization process. I am told it may be because the flight is located on a "0" cell (airport facilities) and that ATC chose to automatically referred those requests back to the FAA manual authorization portal... So, that pretty much puts you in an endless loop. I talked to the airport ATC a couple times trying to understand the LAANC process better and how much automation is built into it and they too seem to be a bit at lost about how the process really works. The most frustrating of all is that they are telling me that because it is a commercial flight, I have to obtain an authorization from the FAA. They say they have the authority to authorize non-commercial flights only. Anyone having a similar situation?
"There is no way to duplicate an existing authorization request so, that is a lot of re-typing. "
FYI. Skyward offers an option to duplicate operations, a real time saver for my bi-monthly construction flights in a class B airspace. I was also able to fly at 250 feet in a FAM grid of 100 feet via LAANC.

Reactions: Telecam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905