Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Line of Sight Requirement in International Waters

Boston425

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the requirements for flying a UAV beyond line of sight in international waters?

I don't know anything current, but 10 years ago for a NOAA project, the FAA claimed jurisdiction over our operations and we were required to go through the typical COA process at the time. We were operating out of Hawaii, but headed about 1000 nm straight north (roughly the same latitude as San Francisco, but straight north of Honolulu.) We were trying to image/locate ocean debris with a fixed wing (marinized) uav we had developed. We were required to maintain line of sight, but were allowed to daisy chain visual observers in a small chase boat. So a couple of the crew passed the private pilot written exam. Just between you and me, we did not see a single cessna 172 flying below 400' ASL out there the entire 16 day cruise. Lots of albatross and a couple boobies (which is the legit name of a bird.) It was a great experience, learned a lot, earned a tremendous amount of respect for people that live and work out on the ocean every day ... it's way tougher than I ever could have imagined. And quit throwing your trash in the ocean humans, if nothing else it creates a mess out there and makes whales sad.

Here is younger me:

If you aren't flying for a US gov't project and aren't a US citizen, I suspect the FAA doesn't have much they can say, but if you ask them, they'll say they own the air down to 2 inches above the wave troughs.

If it's waters bordering the US then you'll have to live with FAA rules as they are the delegated authority (delegated by ICAO as set up in 1944 during the Chicago Convention) over all those International waters at least until it connects to waters from another delegated body. These sections are regional and usually named by a large and well know geographic area and followed by Oceanic Area Control Centers (OAC). Most of the East coast of the US falls under the New York OAC.

An example would be leaving the US from the North East (New York OAC) going towards the UK. The US (FAA) governs many MANY miles until it hits the Santa Maria OAC (Portugal) section. So it's New York OAC until it meets Santa Maria OAC way WAY out there.

This graphic should help paint a picture just how far the FAA really does have International Waters delegation:

C5Y0h.png

In reality it's a LOT more complicated than what I have explained but for the purpose of the question asked this should give guidance....

Yes you'll need to follow FAA Guidelines/FARs even way out at sea if you're along the US (or US Territories).

If it's waters bordering the US then you'll have to live with FAA rules as they are the delegated authority (delegated by ICAO as set up in 1944 during the Chicago Convention) over all those International waters at least until it connects to waters from another delegated body. These sections are regional and usually named by a large and well know geographic area and followed by Oceanic Area Control Centers (OAC). Most of the East coast of the US falls under the New York OAC.

An example would be leaving the US from the North East (New York OAC) going towards the UK. The US (FAA) governs many MANY miles until it hits the Santa Maria OAC (Portugal) section. So it's New York OAC until it meets Santa Maria OAC way WAY out there.

This graphic should help paint a picture just how far the FAA really does have International Waters delegation:

C5Y0h.png

In reality it's a LOT more complicated than what I have explained but for the purpose of the question asked this should give guidance....

Yes you'll need to follow FAA Guidelines/FARs even way out at sea if you're along the US (or US Territories).
Learn something new every day. Thanks for that Al.

Reactions: BigAl07
Learn something new every day. Thanks for that Al.

@BigAl07 - Your response was super helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it up.

You're very welcome. I don't know a lot but I know who to ask to get reliable/accurate answers a lot LOL!

We're all in this together so it's good we can share and learn from each other every chance we get.

You're very welcome. I don't know a lot but I know who to ask to get reliable/accurate answers a lot LOL!

We're all in this together so it's good we can share and learn from each other every chance we get.
As long as you have an accurate source, your solid gold.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is anyone familiar with the requirements for flying a UAV beyond line of sight in international waters?
The thing about international waters is that no country claims sovereignty so which country would you expect would have jurisdiction over drone regulation out there?
You've had some suggestions that relate to air traffic control for trans-ocean flights but that doesn't mean that any country's rules would apply to your oceanic droning.

If you are out in international waters, no-one's going to care about whether you maintain visual or not.
Real planes out there aren't going to be landing or taking off, they will only be very high up.
There aren't any towns, roads, crowds or other sensitive "targets" to worry about.
If you have a problem with the drone, you'll be the only person affected and no country's aviation safety authority is going to know or care.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The military and SAR crews would probably disagree with you.....
And they are going to very few and far apart out there on the high seas.
But in the unlikely event that some are present, that still doesn't mean that any country has jurisdiction.

Last edited:
The thing about international waters is that no country claims sovereignty so which country would you expect would have jurisdiction over drone regulation out there?
You've had some suggestions that relate to air traffic control for trans-ocean flights but that doesn't mean that any country's rules would apply to your oceanic droning.

If you are out in international waters, no-one's going to care about whether you maintain visual or not.
Real planes out there aren't going to be landing or taking off, they will only be very high up.
There aren't any towns, roads, crowds or other sensitive "targets" to worry about.
If you have a problem with the drone, you'll be the only person affected and no country's aviation safety authority is going to know or care.

Yeah, this is pretty interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann