Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

M600 Pro Review

Outta Control

Reaction score
Website
www.hoveranalytics.com
I've been a custom sUAS builder for over 2.5 years now and the reasoning for this is due to DJI ridiculous control and questionable build quality for their aircraft. For example if you compare the original Phantom versus any of the Phantom 3 line you will see the original version was built with better quality and thickness of their plastic. This set the reputation of the Phantom for its durability and simplicity of it's electronics for repairs.

Anyhow, I recently wanted to build another heavy lifter and started to gather the parameters for this specific aircraft. My goal was for a longer flight time and have a redundant IMU. After laying my notes down and started to create my grocery list. I began to realize that the total cost for the aircraft was going to surpass the cost of a M600P. So, I did a little bit of research and looked at some of Jon M's video that spoke about the M600P, then I recalled a conversation between Jon M, JT and I about their preference of the M600 over the M210 when we hung out in Palo Alto. I will not go into detail why that is as I have no i'll will towards the M210. I think is a great bird when I had the opportunity to use it.

Now fast forward, a week ago. After deliberating the cost/benefit for this next build I decided to move forward in getting a M600P.

VoyRxafl.jpg

Upon un-boxing the unit and briefly giving it a gross overlook I do like that fact that DJI had pre-built this aircraft as opposed to the old way with the S900/1000/M600. When I pulled out one of the landing legs I noticed the Aluminum reinforcement they place on both ends of the tube. This is a good thing.

3vTodZAl.jpg

Another item I noticed is the attention to detail of adding a mounting reference and rotating lever knob on the leg/foot joint which traditionally would have just been a simple allen wrench clamp.

Hwp4bXtl.jpg

jpg43xKl.jpg

As a sidenote, I wanted to bring up the fairly large charging unit. I charges all 6 47s in less than 1 hour. That is a blessing. :)

YB4nUMvl.jpg

Conclusion: Though this aircraft has not fully convinced me on how I feel about DJI product, I will say specifically on the industrial line, Bravo. The quality of their build for the commercial side is impressive. This does include the M210 but not the AgRAS MG-1 (I have not had a chance to test drive one). As far as the flight characteristic is concern, and as expected, it is rock solid. In fact, I actually prefer to fly this aircraft in ATTI mode with no GPS. It is that smooth and agile. Compared to the M210, I found the M210 a bit twitchy on P-GPS mode and a little sluggish on ATTI (just need to tweak the gain to solve this.) Overall, I can honestly say, Jon M is spot-on. The price/feature/benefit of the M600P is a huge bargain over a custom or any other heavy lifter (ALTA6, Gryphon, etc) out there. So if you are in the market for an out-of-the box solid aircraft, look no further than a M600P

Rgv4Owjl.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a custom sUAS builder for over 2.5 years now and the reasoning for this is due to DJI ridiculous control and questionable build quality for their aircraft. For example if you compare the original Phantom versus any of the Phantom 3 line you will see the original version was built with better quality and thickness of their plastic. This set the reputation of the Phantom for its durability and simplicity of it's electronics for repairs.

Anyhow, I recently wanted to build another heavy lifter and started to gather the parameters for this specific aircraft. My goal was for a longer flight time and have a redundant IMU. After laying my notes down and started to create my grocery list. I began to realize that the total cost for the aircraft was going to surpass the cost of a M600P. So, I did a little bit of research and looked at some of Jon M's video that spoke about the M600P, then I recalled a conversation between Jon M, JT and I about their preference of the M600 over the M210 when we hung out in Palo Alto. I will not go into detail why that is as I have no i'll will towards the M210. I think is a great bird when I had the opportunity to use it.

Now fast forward, a week ago. After deliberating the cost/benefit for this next build I decided to move forward in getting a M600P.

VoyRxafl.jpg

Upon un-boxing the unit and briefly giving it a gross overlook I do like that fact that DJI had pre-built this aircraft as opposed to the old way with the S900/1000/M600. When I pulled out one of the landing legs I noticed the Aluminum reinforcement they place on both ends of the tube. This is a good thing.

3vTodZAl.jpg

Another item I noticed is the attention to detail of adding a mounting reference and rotating lever knob on the leg/foot joint which traditionally would have just been a simple allen wrench clamp.

Hwp4bXtl.jpg

jpg43xKl.jpg

As a sidenote, I wanted to bring up the fairly large charging unit. I charges all 6 47s in less than 1 hour. That is a blessing. :)

YB4nUMvl.jpg

Conclusion: Though this aircraft has not fully convinced me on how I feel about DJI product, I will say specifically on the industrial line, Bravo. The quality of their build for the commercial side is impressive. This does include the M210 but not the AgRAS MG-1 (I have not had a chance to test drive one). As far as the flight characteristic is concern, and as expected, it is rock solid. In fact, I actually prefer to fly this aircraft in ATTI mode with no GPS. It is that smooth and agile. Compared to the M210, I found the M210 a bit twitchy on P-GPS mode and a little sluggish on ATTI (just need to tweak the gain to solve this.) Overall, I can honestly say, Jon M is spot-on. The price/feature/benefit of the M600P is a huge bargain over a custom or any other heavy lifter (ALTA6, Gryphon, etc) out there. So if you are in the market for an out-of-the box solid aircraft, look no further than a M600P

Rgv4Owjl.jpg

Big fan of this aircraft too. We have 3 now that carry various payloads.

I hav been flying this platform for over 1.5yrs now, over 1000 flights, 300+flight hours.

Very few issues. Have replaced a few (3 across 2 airframes) motor arms where the motor bell became slightly loose (less than 1mm play). Have over 200hours each on 2 of the airframes.

Also check the bottom trailing edge of the props by running your fingernail both ways every time you fly. We have noticed micro fractures show up the over time. 6+months usually. fingernails are the only reliable way to catch them when they are small, skin misses them, and visual misses it unless you flex the prop.

It's like $40 for a set of 2 (1CW 1CCW set) so I recommend having extras on hand.

Reactions: Outta Control
Also check the bottom trailing edge of the props by running your fingernail both ways every time you fly. We have noticed micro fractures show up the over time. 6+months usually. fingernails are the only reliable way to catch them when they are small, skin misses them, and visual misses it unless you flex the prop.

It's like $40 for a set of 2 (1CW 1CCW set) so I recommend having extras on hand.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan on getting spares props and another set of 47s.

I appreciate the review. I've flown a couple of these and we're actively looking to purchase a dedicated heavy lifter. The M600 flies great but I do wish it had a more compact battery/overall setup. It ends up being a large amount of gear to lug around if you want multiple flights between recharges.

What are you guys flying for payloads? Any insight into realistic flight times? My other concern is that with a LiDAR or similar sized setup, that flight time would end up around 10-15min. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the Wind 4 or Flycam NEO? Those are the alternatives we've been considering.

I appreciate the review. I've flown a couple of these and we're actively looking to purchase a dedicated heavy lifter. The M600 flies great but I do wish it had a more compact battery/overall setup. It ends up being a large amount of gear to lug around if you want multiple flights between recharges.

I am okay with the multiple battery setup as it keep the COG easy. It becomes a pain when using different mAh battery size and adjusting the COG point.

Side note: I got a smoking deal in a GPC case but ended up with the M600 non-pro versions. D@mn thing is huge.

...What are you guys flying for payloads? Any insight into realistic flight times?...

FLIR Duo Pro. The smaller custom build I have (Titan) will carry the Zoom and FLIR Vue Pro imager. Flight time so far was dead on 32 minutes with Duo Pro payload.

...My other concern is that with a LiDAR or similar sized setup, that flight time would end up around 10-15min. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the Wind 4 or Flycam NEO? Those are the alternatives we've been considering.

Funny you asked. I met up with Romeo D of DJI.

If your payload would be on a M600 and yes your flight time will suffer and this will be true to most heavy lifters. Your best bet would be the DJI Wind series. Only drama there is the unrealistic possibility to transport the battery on a plane.

If your payload would be on a M600 and yes your flight time will suffer and this will be true to most heavy lifters. Your best bet would be the DJI Wind series. Only drama there is the unrealistic possibility to transport the battery on a plane.

Yeah that's why we were looking at the Wind4. Not that we need to lift 22lbs but the added payload capacity would help with flight time when carrying lighter weights. It would put us more at like 45% capacity vs. 75% capacity with the M600.

What I'm unsure of with the Wind series is how supported they are by DJI when we get down the road. It seems strange that they don't even advertise them on the website.

This is what I was told by RD.

The Wind series is a 2 year old technology running on the A3 platform. It was custom designed for specialized customers. They will support the Wind series at the same level as the M600, but of course they would have to special built any spare parts for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN