Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Multicom 122.9 and 122.95

AerialCS

Reaction score
I am performing mapping/surveying missions on nearly 8000 acres with a couple drones. I have contacted the local region airports to alert them of my activity and they are notifying their pilots with a couple bulletins and announcements. One airport said it would be a good idea to just announce yourself when you start flying. Question is...I have been doing some research and there are TONS of options, anyone have any suggestions on a Tx/Rx transceiver for a vehicle or handheld they you use for announcing your UAV operation and close of operation?

Thanks
Brady

Announce yourself as in on the Unicom? Ummm not a good idea as we don't have the proper credentials to be announcing on Unicomm unless it's an emergency. You're potentially opening a huge can of worms when you start doing this IMHO. Unless you know the lingo and you have the legal credentials I wouldn't announce on Unicomm unless it was an emergency.

Agree with @BigAl07

So far, the FAA is not wanting Remote Pilots on the radio. Unless directed to do so by a specific Authorization or COA, I would not be broadcasting. Listening for traffic is fine.

If the nearby airports have Unicom frequencies listed in addition to a CTAF frequency, that usually means than there is a business, usually an FBO, that operates the Unicom. A much better idea would be for you to call the FBO on the phone and let them announce what you are doing and where if they think it's a good idea.

Reactions: rx7ward and BigAl07
Ageed, don't get on the radios. Listening for traffic is fine if you understand what they are saying. Most aircraft approaching an uncontrolled airport may approach on a 45 degree to the active runway, they will report down wind of the active, base left or right, and final, or they may do a straight in approach. Do you know what the active runway is, and how to find out.
When I make an approach I'm 1000 feet above the runway on my downwind, so a drone should be no concern to me as long as he is at or below the 400 AGL limit. The only time I would be at or below 400 feet is on short final.

I am a fixed wing pilot and I don't carry a radio with me when flying the drone, I watch for other aircraft and stay out of their way.

Reactions: rx7ward and BigAl07
Thanks for the feedback folks. The owners of the airports have put out bulletins and announcements. In addition, I signed up for an account with 1800wxbrief and submitted a NOTAM about the regular flights above our property. Hopefully, everyone gets the message.

...my only issue here is, I do see a low flying helecopter from time to time over our property that is well below 400 ft..and that worries me. How would I contaxt that pilot without access to the multicom?

Thanks for the feedback folks. The owners of the airports have put out bulletins and announcements. In addition, I signed up for an account with 1800wxbrief and submitted a NOTAM about the regular flights above our property. Hopefully, everyone gets the message.

...my only issue here is, I do see a low flying helecopter from time to time over our property that is well below 400 ft..and that worries me. How would I contaxt that pilot without access to the multicom?
I carry a radio Yaesu FTA550 and if I need to use it to maintain safety (and I have) I certainly do so.

I carry a radio Yaesu FTA550 and if I need to use it to maintain safety (and I have) I certainly do so.
I think that is the best option, it appears I defianately shouldnt be using the radio every time I launch the drone, but like the case qith thr helio thats always flying, it is important to radio that pilot while we are in our daily operations

Unless you know which frequency the helo is on the transceiver won't do you much good. And trying to use a push-to-talk unit and fly your sUAS at the same time could get "interesting."

You might check with your local hospital(s), fire dept., and police or sheriff's dept. to see if it's an air ambulance service. And, if so, make a courtesy phone call to give them your flight specs.

I use an ICOM IC-A14 in conjunction with a 107.41 WAAA (when required by Base Ops), but will either have a second pilot to operate the UAS while I am on the radio, or have my payload operator do comms while I fly.

If you decide that a transceiver is a must, there are several reputable courses available to both familiarize you - and get you comfortable - with radio terminology and protocol.

Fly safe!

At my airport, there are several aircraft that don't even have radios! Obviously trying to contact them would be fruitless. As always the best instrument for detecting and avoiding other aircraft is the Mark 1 eyeball. Instead of worrying about calling on a radio when flying in the vacinity of an airport it might be better to plan on having a VO watching the skies for you while you fly. And, of course, there's the issue of the FCC requiring a station license for any radios not installed in an aircraft.

Reactions: BigAl07
As always the best instrument for detecting and avoiding other aircraft is the Mark 1 eyeball. Instead of worrying about calling on a radio when flying in the vacinity of an airport it might be better to plan on having a VO watching the skies for you while you fly.

Not really related to this thread, but your comment reminded me that even the FAA's UAS personnel sometimes try to make things more complicated than they should or need to be.

Awhile back in a request for more info on a waiver request, my application included something to the effect "..and see and avoid other aircraft and abort if a factor..." The FAA person asked something like " please describe how you would avoid an approaching aircraft."

I replied with something like " if the aircraft is approaching form the north, I would evaluate the best action based upon whether it was safest to:
(1) Descend
(2) Maneuver to the east if #1 was not the best choice.
(3) Maneuver to the west if 1 and 2 were not the best choice.
(4) Maneuver to the south if 1,2 or 3 were not the best choice.
(5) Do nothing if altitude separation was sufficient for safety."

I then said something like " I can write down more scenarios but I hope you get the idea and "see and avoid" is now a sufficient answer."

Apparently it was. But the exercise seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

Thank you everyone. I think I am going to not get a radio and utilize the old set of ears/eyes combo and abort mission immediately when I hear or see a plane nearby.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B0054890