Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

National Trust....

Captain Drone

Reaction score
Can anybody here please enlighten me as to the legally enforceable regulations that the Nation Trust insist that drone pilots follow?

With reference to their web page Flying drones at our places, they claim:

1) "All aerial activity above our sites is prohibited unless specific permission is granted, according to an existing BYELAW"
I've yet to track down the byelaw they refer to - can anyone help out?

2) "CAA regulations state that drones should not be flown above or near to people."
True - but this is not legally enforceable. The only CAA regulations that can be legally enforced are flight above 400' agl and within 1km of airport / aerodrome boundaries.

The rest of their 'regulations' concern situations that no self-respecting PfCO drone operator would 'contravene' in any case, such as remaining further than 50m from people and properties and 150m from crowds and built up areas. Neither of these are however currently legally enforceable, as far as I'm aware.

Can anybody here please enlighten me as to the legally enforceable regulations that the Nation Trust insist that drone pilots follow?

With reference to their web page Flying drones at our places, they claim:

1) "All aerial activity above our sites is prohibited unless specific permission is granted, according to an existing BYELAW"
I've yet to track down the byelaw they refer to - can anyone help out?

2) "CAA regulations state that drones should not be flown above or near to people."
True - but this is not legally enforceable. The only CAA regulations that can be legally enforced are flight above 400' agl and within 1km of airport / aerodrome boundaries.

The rest of their 'regulations' concern situations that no self-respecting PfCO drone operator would 'contravene' in any case, such as remaining further than 50m from people and properties and 150m from crowds and built up areas. Neither of these are however currently legally enforceable, as far as I'm aware.
Yes it is enforceable.
This has been covered previously.
The NT is a bit of a special case and is protected by various bylaws that came into force when the land was gifted by the crown to 'The People'
I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe the relevant bylaw was from 1963 and prohibits the use of powered model/RC aircraft (hand launch gliders are permitted).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC