Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

NC Google Earth

Enorda

Reaction score
So I was thinking about the NC suit about any orthography being considered a survey requiring a license. So I looked and didn't find an answer, but wouldn't Google Earth be doing the exact same thing? If they aren't using NC licensed surveyors, they are using satellites to create an orthographic representation of North Carolina which is the same as the drone pilot was doing.

Just curious, if Google does not use NC licensed surveyors, aren't they guilty of the exact same? I can't find where Google was using different state licensed surveyors on the Earth project.

Reactions: MikeA
I have asked similar questions before in different threads and have not gotten anything back. Google Maps/Earth shows structures and sometimes property lines, topography with altitude, and allows measurements among all of those features. That is a fact. I am not saying the law should be interpreted one way or the other, but if a drone ortho map is in itself illegal, surely most of the publicly available mapping apps, trail apps, satellite photo apps are providing data that, according to the NC case, should fall under PLS laws. If a disclaimer that "this data is for estimating purposes only" gets a large company a free pass to provide maps, would the same standard apply to a drone ortho deliverable?

So pretty much the same as I was thinking.

I think the real answer is NC board of surveyors (whatever the board name is) isn't trying to go to war with Google, and instead saw a small drone operator who couldn't fight back.

But if I were the lawyer for the drone pilot, I think I'd bring that up in discovery. Like you, I do not see the difference.

Reactions: MikeA
I know there are some users on this forum that have more legal and surveying background so I will defer to them since that is their area of expertise.

On another forum that leans heavily towards surveyors, their argument seems to be that a PLS should be the only contractor allowed to make a product containing a map, elevation, or stockpile, even if they use the same software/hardware/methods as a drone operator. Their reasoning is that their professional licensing makes their process repeatable and scientific, and their insurance coverage is designed to cover large construction projects.

I am not endorsing one view or the other, just sharing what PLS holders have told me.

Reactions: Alex Lynch
Right, well it's them trying to justify their license, because they are afraid that their industry will be obsolete.

I'm not endorsing either side as well, just saying it is the same as Google, so I think Google Maps should have a huge black area over NC, just like they do some military base, like Area 51.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91