Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

New Pix4D user here

Wilbur

Reaction score
I flew my first mission 204 pics total. I'm using the 15 day free trial, 10 days left, and I've uploaded and received some zip files from the cloud at Pix4D. The mission is of a remote cabin on the Russian River in Alexander Valley. There are a lot of trees on this property, and the main goal is to deliver a map that he can view, so a simple, best route, road can be cut to the river.
So, my questions are:
What view or file should I pass along to him? Not a client but a friend.
I'm using a PC, he has a Mac. What program does he need to be able to use/view said file?
Yes, I'm very new to this and the learning curve is steep, so any additional advise to welcomed/appreciated.
I'm attempting to be able to give him something to work with Tomorrow morning.
Happy New Year

The easiest is probably a orthophoto geotif file (.tif) that you and your friend can load into Google Earth. If you want to go deeper, you can load the same .tif into QGIS.

I would add that the geotiff is probably all your friend has the software to view. The DSM and DTM are both raster files and require specialized software to view that data (QGIS, ESRI ArcGIS, etc...)

In addition to what @Dave Pitman said I would add the the Elevation orthomosaic. It can be particularly valuable as well as it will give the client a good understanding of the terrain, high and low areas without the need for contours which can muddy the appearance of the image ortho. It too can be loaded into either of those softwares and if you want to go an extra step you can use something like GIMP to add transparency to the elevation ortho so that you can overlay it directly on a image ortho to see both at the same time.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM