Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

NIST Course for UAS?

miturnbo

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.minutemanresponse.org
Has anyone tried to setup a NIST course for sUAS and had some luck with it? I'm building one out and doing it all with the available online resources but it's quite a lot of info as anyone should expect with a government process.

Yes, I fly for Public Safety and we have integrated the Basic NIST course into our training requirements for our pilots and I am a Proctor able to deliver and certify pilots on it through APSA.

APSA (Airborne Public Safety Association) has taken the NIST course and renamed it the BPERP (Basic Proficiency Evaluation for Remote Pilot).

They offer the ability for you to take a Train the Trainer class where you can then join their organization and be able to conduct the course and certify pilots.

During the Train the Trainer class, we constructed 2 full sets of the courses.

This program is good in that it will make your pilots better at flying especially if they do not own their own drone. But keep in mind there are other things the pilots need to have training on from preflight checks (Weather, Airspace, Aircraft) ranging to performing and documenting maintenance that are just as important.

Let me know if you need anything from the newest how to build documents to the obj file that allows you to do the course on DJI Flight Simulator.

Let me know if you need anything from the newest how to build documents to the obj file that allows you to do the course on DJI Flight Simulator.

I think it is great that you have a training program, but I would have issues with a flight simulator used to certify proficiency. To me that would be like sitting someone Infront of MS flight Sim for six to eight hours then sticking them in a aircraft and sending them on their way for their first solo.
I have used MS fight sim for IFR proficiency but there is a big difference between a sim and reality.

I think it is great that you have a training program, but I would have issues with a flight simulator used to certify proficiency. To me that would be like sitting someone Infront of MS flight Sim for six to eight hours then sticking them in a aircraft and sending them on their way for their first solo.
I have used MS fight sim for IFR proficiency but there is a big difference between a sim and reality.
The Flight Simulator is not for the test. The test is done with an sUAS. The Flight Simulator is for those who have never flown an sUAS ever before. They can start with the silly little missions DJI has setup and can move onto the NIST course all without having to risk our aircraft.

Yes, I fly for Public Safety and we have integrated the Basic NIST course into our training requirements for our pilots and I am a Proctor able to deliver and certify pilots on it through APSA.

APSA (Airborne Public Safety Association) has taken the NIST course and renamed it the BPERP (Basic Proficiency Evaluation for Remote Pilot).

They offer the ability for you to take a Train the Trainer class where you can then join their organization and be able to conduct the course and certify pilots.

During the Train the Trainer class, we constructed 2 full sets of the courses.

This program is good in that it will make your pilots better at flying especially if they do not own their own drone. But keep in mind there are other things the pilots need to have training on from preflight checks (Weather, Airspace, Aircraft) ranging to performing and documenting maintenance that are just as important.

I'm close to done with the build of a basic course that will allow us to practice proficiency. I have not decided whether I have time to become a proctor but decided even without that title this would be a good way to start building skills for our pilots. I've already designed many of the trainings we use for our pilots and I've been looking for something that will hone in some of the skills that are useful. This is a good start.

There is a lot more involved in building out the course than I thought there would be though. If you have information on the train the trainer program, please pass it along. We have been working with local law enforcement as well and there may be good reason to become a proctor at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry woodham