Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Overheating Tablets

R.Perry

Reaction score
As with many of you, the overheating of our tablets has been a pain.

I got some recomendations from Apple.

1. Make sure you have plenty of free memory.
2. Don't keep the tablet in a case.
3. Keep out of direct sunlight, ya right.
4. Turn the brightness down as low as you can, don't wear sunglasses and turn the brightness up.
5. Use a hood on the tablet.
6. If your battery is getting old, replace it.

All basic stuff. We have decided to add on. Have two Tablets and switch back and forth between flights, I just ordered and new tablet.
Cooling pads take too long to cool the tablet down from my experience.

Any other ideas

Reactions: FranoKaaf
I have ordered the iPad Mini 5 to replace my iPad Mini 4. Hoping the 3x faster processor and 6x faster graphics will allow it to run cooler, as the problem has slowly gotten worse over the last 3+ years I have been using the iPad Mini 3 as the software has progressively added more features and capabilities.

Worst case, I can keep one in the cooler and swap it out as suggested above!

Crystal Sky is not a solution because it does not run some of the iOS-only flight apps I use regularly.

Also ordered an Atomos Shinobi (1000 nits) to display the HDMI module output (but it will primarily be used with the Sony α7iii on a Ronin-S gimbal.)

Reactions: Ol' Gzr
I have the X-Naut, however, once it gets above 90 here in the desert it is ineffective.

Part 61 pilots have the same issue with their iPads. Fortunately, X-Naut has created a battery operated cooling case that mounts on the back of the iPad (Mini, Air, and Pro models.) They're available online from Sporty's Pilot Shop. This is the link for the iPad Mini version X-Naut Cooling Case for iPad Mini (1-5)

I know last summer I had problems with mine overheating. I personally think having two tablets is a good idea. Swapping out the tablet every time you change batteries should keep the drone operational as long as needed.
Not only that if one tablet should fail, there is a backup.
Last summer on 100 plus degree days I had to let the tablet cool after two flights, or thirty to thirty five minutes of flight time, it would normally take fifteen to twenty minutes to cool the tablet down.
Of course it is easy to come up with these solutions when it is someone else's money.

Reactions: BigAl07
As with many of you, the overheating of our tablets has been a pain.
I got some recomendations from Apple.

Apple probably wouldn't recommend it but you could always get a good Android tablet.
I hear lots of reports of Apple devices overheating but not Android.
The Huawei M3 or M5 runs the app at least as well as any Apple device.

Last edited:
Some apps I use regularly, such as DroneDeploy and Map Pilot, are not available for Android.

When I borrow my wife's iPad Pro 9.7 I don't have the issues, so in my case, it is the "old" iPad Mini 4. But I find that larger size too big for "everyday" use with the drones. (Apple replaced my iPad Mini 4 near the end of my Apple Care, and it did not make any difference; so it is not an issue with the specific iPad.)

Apple probably wouldn't recommend it but you could always geta good Android tablet.
I hear lots of reposts of Apple devices overheating but not Android.
The Huawei M3 or M5 runs the app at least as well as any Apple device.

Reactions: BigAl07
Some apps I use regularly, such as DroneDeploy and Map Pilot, are not available for Android.
Map Pilot is iOS only but DroneDeploy has always been available for Android.
I've been using it for a few years.

I have the X-Naut, however, once it gets above 90 here in the desert it is ineffective.
A common summertime issue throughout the south and southwest. (That's when you run two narrow diameter flex ducts from your truck's dash a/c - one to the X-Naut's fans, and one down the back of your shirt.) ?

When I fly my Piper Warrior on long trips, I will usually have a heat issue with an IPad but I always carry a backup IPad and put the overheated one near an air vent. It is usually ready to go again in 5 minutes or so. Keeping the brightness level down helps a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV