Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Override GPS

tleengland

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, and I dont know much about drones.
I am an IT administrator. for OMI Environmental Solutions, we have a drone division that has started using drones to clean warehouses, schools and venues since Covid-19 happened.
My disaster division came to me today with a problem. And basically wanted me to see if there is a solution.
When we are using the DGi - MG15 to spray, when the drone loses the GPS signal it stops spraying and according to DGI this feature can not be overridden, or changed.
My question:
1) can this actually be overide?\
2) how hard is this?
3) will this void any warranty?

Several issues embedded in your situation. My thoughts:
- this is not a problem that should be taken to an normal IT guy. This is a problem with the drone and it's firmware. The "drone division" should know that they will lose GPS signal inside a metal structure, so they should have gone into that market prepared for that to happen. Not act surprised and dump it on the IT guy to solve.
- The drone can fly without a GPS signal. It's just a lot tougher, and it doesn't lend itself to autonomous flight design in that condition.
- Whether the drone can trigger an action without GPS may be different with different drone equipment, and with different control apps. You didn't cite the equipment or control apps, so you'll probably not get much useful feedback without additional info.
- Depending on the details, you could be looking at a modification of the bird or firmware for this specific use case. I'd start by trying to find another company who is providing a similar service (preferrably one not in your service area so it won't be a competitor) and ask what they did to solve that problem.

Good luck with this one. It's a "hill for a stepper".................. Bob R.

When we are using the DGi - MG15 to spray, when the drone loses the GPS signal it stops spraying and according to DGI this feature can not be overridden, or changed.
There will be another problem beyond spraying/not spraying.
The MG1S has no other sensors apart from GPS so it's not going to have any horizontal position holding ability when it loses GPS.
It's not going to have any "brakes" and will slide through the air like a car on ice.
With a takeoff weight of 24 kg, that would be a big problem that's likely to end badly.
Choosing an outdoor agricultural spray drone wasn't a good choice for indoor operations.

Reactions: R.Perry
Hello,

I am new here, and I dont know much about drones.
I am an IT administrator. for OMI Environmental Solutions, we have a drone division that has started using drones to clean warehouses, schools and venues since Covid-19 happened.
My disaster division came to me today with a problem. And basically wanted me to see if there is a solution.
My question:
1) can this actually be overide?\

Indoor flight will be without GPS signal. GPS will not work indoors due to the carrier signal being blocked. The work around is to use another flight mode to perform the flight. Of course, the individual piloting the aircraft will need extensive experience flying without a safety net. Your pilot is going to have to fly then entire flight by hand. My guess is that since they are unaware of the workaround, they do not have the experience to fly indoors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter