Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

P4P Max AGL and distance question

MapMaker53

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
Assuming GPS signal remains intact, can setting the max AGL height and max flight distance limit a flyaway situation? My assumption is that this information is contained onboard the drone itself, since I can't set them in the software alone without a connection. Will the drone just hover when it reaches the max distance or AGL, and eventually autoland if the operator fails to reconnect? I'm applying for a Class B waiver (in a yet-to-be active LAANC grid) for a project that is expected to start in May, and I'm stating that sUAV software will be set to 100 ft AGL and a distance of 0.5 NM to limit any possible flyaway situation. Am I correct to state that???

Assuming GPS signal remains intact, can setting the max AGL height and max flight distance limit a flyaway situation? My assumption is that this information is contained onboard the drone itself, since I can't set them in the software alone without a connection. Will the drone just hover when it reaches the max distance or AGL, and eventually autoland if the operator fails to reconnect? I'm applying for a Class B waiver (in a yet-to-be active LAANC grid) for a project that is expected to start in May, and I'm stating that sUAV software will be set to 100 ft AGL and a distance of 0.5 NM to limit any possible flyaway situation. Am I correct to state that???

I don't "think" so. The Fly-Away (which is very uncommon now if you omit operator error) was usually created from faulty GPS/Barometer/Compass readings to begin with. In essence once the drone becomes confused enough for a Fly Away it isn't able to know how to stay below X#' AGL and X#' distance. Just like if you tell someone to walk into a room and stay 20' from each wall but you blindfold them. They have no reference point.

I always put Lost Link to be RTH and document exactly what your RTH settings are and why. I would NOT intentionally open up that particular can of worms because in reality you have no control over that situation and with today's technology they are few and far in between (almost as rare as a Unicorn).

Keep in mind that many operators experience loss of control etc and claim a Fly Away but flight analysis reveals many (most of the time) it was actually operator error and/or not understanding the software to begin with.

No current DJI aircraft measures AGL height unless within 10m. All RTH settings for height are strictly based upon elevation above your launch point. It is an important distinction to be aware of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter