Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Part 61 Pilot renewing Remote Pilot

FireFlyer

Reaction score
Just a quick note on my renewal process. I'm in the Denver area, and originally visited the FSDO to get my RP cert after taking the online course in 2016 (I was current with a logged flight review). It turns out this visit for renewal was NOT necessary, here is what you need to do:

==========================================================================================================
Carry with you a copy of the FAAsafety.gov recurrent test completion page, your 107 cert/card, a copy of your Part 61 log book page showing your current flight review.
==========================================================================================================

Thats it! But the FAA continues to be confused about this process and as usual, each FSDO has varying levels of understanding. I get it, this is all new to the FAA. Here is my tale.

In August I called the FSDO to see what they wanted from me with regards to renewing my 107, and was told: take the online course and make sure it is visible in FAASafety.gov, bring your Part 61 pilot logbook showing your recent/current flight review, bring your RP certificate. "We will review it all and issue you your renewal".

Me: I asked, Hmmm, why do I need to bring all this to the FSDO. The normal method for Part 61 pilots is to carry your pilot certificate card along with your logbook showing a current flight review? There is no need to go to the FSDO/CFI/DPE or anyone one else to be 'current'. The FSDO contact said Part 107 was different and needed this review.

So I arrived at the FSDO with all my paperwork in hand, the inspector was nice and we sat in a conference room while he reviewed my paperwork. Then proceeded to log into IACRA and try to issue a 'renewal'. After about 30 minutes of fillding he said "I'm sorry to have made you come down here. It turns out you just need to ........ (see above)." IACRA only has a pilot application for NEW part 107 entries, but not for renewals.

Live and learn

So I arrived at the FSDO with all my paperwork in hand, the inspector was nice and we sat in a conference room while he reviewed my paperwork. Then proceeded to log into IACRA and try to issue a 'renewal'. After about 30 minutes of fillding he said "I'm sorry to have made you come down here. It turns out you just need to ........ (see above)." IACRA only has a pilot application for NEW part 107 entries, but not for renewals.

It gives you great comfort to know that the individuals that are tasked with your oversight are foggy on the details, doesn't it?

I know it does me ! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker