Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Police seize drone that hindered emergency response to crash on I-75

If you own a drone there are rules you should know or you could be in trouble with the law.

Yes, of course, that's why we should ask for a minimum of training even from those who fly for hobbies outside of specially designated spaces :rolleyes:

Reactions: BigAl07
I have no idea about the details in this incident as the news report is light on details. But, using this situation as an example, consider this scenario.

You are part of a news team and you come upon an accident like this. After checking the airspace, and also determining that you could fly adjacent to the roadway and not overfly persons or vehicles by staying to the side. You launch and arrive at a viewing point and start capturing video. At some point, you hear the sound of a helicopter. You descend to near the ground until you determine where the copter is. After, you either land in place or fly low and away from the heli, whichever is more safe.

Have you broken any rules? If so, which one(s)?

I think this is a good situation to discuss as it is obvious that uavs will be a standard tool in a news crew's kit, if not now, soon.

At some point in the future, I think there will be rules ( I'm talking US because I don't know specific rules elsewhere) specifying details about operating uas in proximity to manned aircraft. Now, we have:

§107.37 Operation near aircraft; right-of-way rules.
(a) Each small unmanned aircraft must yield the right of way to all aircraft, airborne vehicles, and launch and reentry vehicles. Yielding the right of way means that the small unmanned aircraft must give way to the aircraft or vehicle and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft so close to another aircraft as to create a collision hazard.

In the video, they say that they might possibly charge the operator with interfering with emergency personnel. Again, we don't know all the facts in this case. But in my scenario, I wouldn't think that could be considered interference or not giving way to manned aircraft. But, I could see where the authorities might get excited at the mere presence of the uav even though it is operated within the rules and safely. Sound familiar?

What do you folks think about the scenario I described. Not this actual event because we don't know the details. For all we know, the guy was hovering right over the scene. But it provides a good subject for discussion.

Last edited:
I have no idea about the details in this incident as the news report is light on details. But, using this situation as an example, consider this scenario.

You are part of a news team and you come upon an accident like this. After checking the airspace, and also determining that you could fly adjacent to the roadway and not overfly persons or vehicles by staying to the side. You launch and arrive at a viewing point and start capturing video. At some point, you hear the sound of a helicopter. You descend to near the ground until you determine where the copter is. After, you either land in place or fly low and away from the heli, whichever is more safe.

Have you broken any rules? If so, which one(s)?

I think this is a good situation to discuss as it is obvious that uavs will be a standard tool in a news crew's kit, if not now, soon.

At some point in the future, I think there will be rules ( I'm talking US because I don't know specific rules elsewhere) specifying details about operating uas in proximity to manned aircraft. Now, we have:

§107.37 Operation near aircraft; right-of-way rules.
(a) Each small unmanned aircraft must yield the right of way to all aircraft, airborne vehicles, and launch and reentry vehicles. Yielding the right of way means that the small unmanned aircraft must give way to the aircraft or vehicle and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft so close to another aircraft as to create a collision hazard.

In the video, they say that they might possibly charge the operator with interfering with emergency personnel. Again, we don't know all the facts in this case. But in my scenario, I wouldn't think that could be considered interference or not giving way to manned aircraft. But, I could see where the authorities might get excited at the mere presence of the uav even though it is operated within the rules and safely. Sound familiar?

What do you folks think about the scenario I described. Not this actual event because we don't know the details. For all we know, the guy was hovering right over the scene. But it provides a good subject for discussion.

Stupidity at its best.

Stupidity at its best.

Thank you for the thoughtful comment based upon...?? I kind of expected better really. Like actual discussion of the facts !

I expect that this means that a news crew flying a manned aircraft within the limits or the FARs as a tool in their toolbox is equally foolish by the same set of non-facts?

Chill out. I was referring to the OP.

To your scenario- Have you broken any rules? Not at that point in your scenario...and no, we don't need anything beyond 107.37 since it is quite clear.

Well you did quote me.. ;) But I wasn't getting all worked up, just disappointed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC