Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Predicting TFRs

Noxid86

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a part 107 operator in the Chicago area and I'm having trouble predicting TFRs to organize business around them. I know anytime there is a major sporting even i typically get a 5 mile radius of NFZ around the arena so I've started looking for sports schedules ahead of time. I'm wondering if there are any better ways of predicting when a TFR will be issued?

I don't see any real way of predicting TFRs well in advanced, except when it comes to major events that are scheduled ahead of time - like you are currently doing. TFRs by their definition are temporary and situation driven. VIP movement is a major contributor to TFRs in the NY Metro area (Trump, U.N. dignitaries, etc.), and those aren't publicized ahead of time.

Hi, I'm a part 107 operator in the Chicago area and I'm having trouble predicting TFRs to organize business around them. I know anytime there is a major sporting even i typically get a 5 mile radius of NFZ around the arena so I've started looking for sports schedules ahead of time. I'm wondering if there are any better ways of predicting when a TFR will be issued?

That depends upon whether or not the stadium is a pro team or NCAA Tier 1 stadium. Speaking for the later, any event held in the stadium will generate a TFR. So the way to predict TFR's is to work with the owning organization on a schedule for upcoming events that may impact your flight operations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM