Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

question about images made from mapping program

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I've made a few maps with maps made easy and they have rendered a composite image. Sometimes the underlying images become very distorted or odd looking. What I would like to know if there is any way I could make a large overall image, but when zoomed in upon, instead of seeing a processed image, one of the original images would appear (in the proper location).

There are a lot of different services that could do this as well as Pix4D and Drone Deploy.
Pix4D has something like this if you use their cloud based service.

1588870885420.png
Notice the X on the building in the map and the image to the right.

Drone Deploy also has something similar.

1588870956085.png
Click on the orthomap and then a picture will show.

1588871020666.png

Your distorted maps in Maps Made Easy can be from a variety of issues but improper image collection is usually high on the list. I think they are using Pix4D Engine for their processing, but I have fed the same images to Pix4D, Drone Deploy and Maps Made Easy and have had markedly different results, with Maps Made Easy most likely to have issues.

Thanks for the response. How much would it cost to do this? I don't do this on a regular basis, and it might be months until I would do something like this again, or possibly not at all. Can I just pay for a one-time use?

Both Pix4D and Drone Deploy offer Free Trial versions. Use the trial versions for now. Otherwise a subscription can be done monthly and then quit at the end of the month.

I don't know your use case but if you do not need accurate 2D orthos and this is more for visualization you could use the Pix4D Model monthly at $40ish and bill it into your service. A well done model from nadir looks like an ortho if that's what the client knows they are getting.

In Pix4D this is inspection mode and you can choose any picture that has the selected point in it, and yes you can zoom in too.

Example
1588882958190.png
1588884081363.png

1588883095159.png

It all depends on what your client wants and is expecting for their use case. Just know that getting a great looking 3D model from all views is really going to take some planning and ALOT of images. Getting the sides of things is tough. I've had to do double grids oblique as well as fly the facades by hand to get the details good. I am sure there are plenty of other software solutions that can do similar, I am just familiar with these.

Attachments

• 1588882746426.png
    1588882746426.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
I'm not looking for 3d imagery. What I would be covering would be a couple hundred acres of walnut trees. I'd like to be able to have an overall image and be able to zoom in on one of the original underlying images so details of each tree and surrounding ground could be seen for any given point. Thanks again for your helpful responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igwe3