Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Quick and dirty thermal setup

BigL

Reaction score
6 year old grandson has gotten pretty good on the sticks of a P3P. We are in the middle of a couple of simple mapping projects for educational purposes. Looking for cheap setup ideas for thermal education. Have stocked up on chewing gum and baling wire. Any suggestions welcome.

I'm afraid Cheap and Thermal don't really "Fit" in the same sentence.

Are you looking for an add-on payload for the P3? If so, that aircraft has a very limited "Additional payload" ability.

If you're looking for a good Thermal System for a test bed I have a Yuneec H520 with Thermal and RGB that I might be willing to let go. It's on the low end of resolution but you get what you pay for.

Allen

The lowest cost for a fully integrated thermal solution is the Parrot Anafi Thermal at $1,900. You may find a used version for less. Do your homework and read the sister Parrot Pilots forum for member's experiences with the Anafi as a whole.

The Anafi thermal has a low resolution FLIR Lepton core. Pros: It is thermal. It is radiometric and give an apparent temperature on screen. It lets you set parameters live in an attempt to obtain true temperatures. It works in FLIR Tools so you can analyze images and gain insight and teach basic thermography.

Cons: It is low resolution. Up close (Within 10 to 15 feet) it works very well for most basic thermal analysis. It will spot wall studs, wet areas, missing insulation. At distance it struggles and the screen will be filled with noise in areas with low temperature differences. For finding people and animals you must be under 100 feet for people and smaller animals even lower.

Examples

My Living Room. Missing insulation on the right, windows in the middle.

Anafi Thermal 10 to 15 feet away.
1645140979269.jpeg

Now the same area with 640x512 resolution.

1645141134717.jpeg

Anafi Thermal Solar Panel Array - Bad Cells 10-15 feet above array.
1645141351866.jpeg

Mavic Enterprise Advanced 640 x 512 resolution from 30 to 40 feet above array.

1645141709019.jpeg

There are also several vendors that will add different thermal packages to drones. These are not fully integrated solutions and may or may not meet your expectations.
You could easily just buy a thermal sensor on Amazon or eBay and teach him thermography from the ground. This would be extremely cheap for a high resolution camera that FLIR would charge $5,000 and up for. I saw a Chinese 640 resolution camera for $500 on sale before.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you both for your responses. I am thinking about buying a cheap handheld to teach him the basics while we are doing our mapping projects. Then look for the Chinese 640 to rig up. Should be a fun project.

Thank you both for your responses. I am thinking about buying a cheap handheld to teach him the basics while we are doing our mapping projects. Then look for the Chinese 640 to rig up. Should be a fun project.
Flir sells a unit that attaches to your cell phone and turns it into a thermal camera. A little over $200 on Amazon.

Reactions: BigL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B0054890