Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Recommendations for which Remote ID to buy

Is your drone equiped with Remote ID?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just received and tested the Drone Tag Beacon. Small, very light, and super easy to setup and use.

In your Device Inventory List, chick on the 3 dots you see under the ACTIONS tab, then choose EDIT. You will be presented with the information you currently have in the system regarding this particular drone. The first question at the top will be "Does your drone broadcast FAA Remote ID information?" If you choose YES, the serial number field prompt changes from saying "Serial Number" (referring to the drone serial number) to "Remote Serial Number". At that point, for some unknown reason, the drone serial number remains in that box instead of being wiped out. As long as that field reads "Remote Serial Number", just delete the drone SN and enter the remote ID serial in that box. Then SAVE. Seems to be a bug in that form that the FAA should correct to avoid confusion. I guess once you have RID, the RID serial number takes president over the drone serial number and is the new serial number assigned to that drone as far as the FAA is concerned. Seems to me they should have both. Anyway, I just filled in that form field with the info it was requesting. The serial number on your drone inventory list will now show the RID serial number instead of the drone's serial number, but it also shows the drone registration number the FAA has on file -- which I'm sure still has the original drone serial number somewhere in the FAA system from when you registered the drone. Physically, I think the only important number associated with the drone is the registration number, which must be displayed on it's hull somewhere.

But I wouldn't add the RID info until you are ready to use it. It even changes the serial number on your registration card that you can print from the site.
Thank you.

Just received my DroneTag BS and attempted to install inside the shell of my Autel Evo 2. The seems to be defective. No sats no matter where I go. 😑

Just received my DroneTag BS and attempted to install inside the shell of my Autel Evo 2. The seems to be defective. No sats no matter where I go. 😑
Try reaching out to one of the inventors of this product over on www.mavicpilots.com

I'm using the Drone Tag Beacon and it works perfectly right out of the box.

Trying to determine where to mount the DroneBeacon dB120 unit onto my P4P. I think i will need to get a bit creative using the landing gear to avoid interfering with the many sensors. A friend is already experimenting with making a flat surface clip-on mount with his 3D printer that I can Velcro it to.

Trying to determine where to mount the DroneBeacon dB120 unit onto my P4P. I think i will need to get a bit creative using the landing gear to avoid interfering with the many sensors. A friend is already experimenting with making a flat surface clip-on mount with his 3D printer that I can Velcro it to.
I picked up a set of Ultimaxx Landing Gear Stabilizers ($8 on Amazon) and install them without the middle gimbal guard cross piece. They're a bit of a pain to put on and take off but each stabilizer leg has a flat face that points mostly up for attaching the velcro tape. Went this route initially to attach strobes and has worked out pretty well so far so plan to attach the DroneBeacon to them also also when the time comes. This was the best I could come up with since my P4 is an RTK unit and there's no place on top to stick the beacon. With practice I've gotten better at attaching and removing the stabilizers without putting stress on the P4 legs. Had too many close calls with curious hawks and crows and read somewhere that a pilot has had success keeping birds away with the strobes.

I've not yet had anyone in the vicinity since flying with the strobes but will give you an update the next time somebody gets curious. As blindingly bright as the strobes are, I can't imagine they'll want to get too close.

I don't believe IOS device currently work as RID receivers. There you go. 60% of the Karens taken out of the equation.
Dronetag RID app works perfectly on my iPhone. Picks up Bluetooth and Network RID transponders.

I recently ran across this but have no data on reviews or "shootouts" between certain models of Remote IDs. Hoping someone with real-world experience could share their findings here. Thanks in advance....

Where can I buy a Remote ID module? How much does it cost? [Sortable Table with pricing]

View attachment 4046
I have a Dronetag BS module on mine also. It works very well with my iPhone and I’d think it would still go out past VLOS with a small drone as the signal was still strong when I reached my VLOS comfort level while testing it.

Last edited:
Dronetag RID app works perfectly on my iPhone. Picks up Bluetooth and Network RID transponders.
@AMann I am unable to pick up any signal on any of my DJI drones with built in RID on an IOS app. I am assuming you are picking up bluetooth and DJI does not transmit bluetooth? I was under the impression that IOS was not allowing API access to their Wifi currently

@AMann I am unable to pick up any signal on any of my DJI drones with built in RID on an IOS app. I am assuming you are picking up bluetooth and DJI does not transmit bluetooth? I was under the impression that IOS was not allowing API access to their Wifi currently
Have you tried the free Dronetag app on IOS? It reports other drones across the US and world with network RID- I think that is what you are talking about? I’m not familiar enough with the system to answer this question, but try reaching out to one of the inventors of this product over on www.mavicpilots.com
@lukasbrchl

He should join this site also, I am sending him an invite.

mavicpilots.com
mavicpilots.com

Last edited:
Have you tried the free Dronetag app on IOS? It reports other drones across the US and world with network RID- I think that is what you are talking about? I’m not familiar enough with the system to answer this question, but try reaching out to one of the inventors of this product over on www.mavicpilots.com
@lukasbrchl

He should join this site also, I am sending him an invite.

mavicpilots.com
mavicpilots.com
Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your notice. In fact, Dronetag or Drone Scanner app can't receive the Wi-Fi Remote ID data on iOS as it is Apple's limitation that won't change in the near future. We tried to cover this also in the explanation video here

Let me know if you have further questions.
Lukas

Reactions: AMann
Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your notice. In fact, Dronetag or Drone Scanner app can't receive the Wi-Fi Remote ID data on iOS as it is Apple's limitation that won't change in the near future. We tried to cover this also in the explanation video here

Let me know if you have further questions.
Lukas

Do these limitations simply apply to privately owned phones? Will government authorities/police be provided special receivers for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals?

Do these limitations simply apply to privately owned phones? Will government authorities/police be provided special receivers for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals?

Nothing to do with who owns the phone. The WiFi on smart phones does not scan in the manner required to receive RID broadcast. In order to receive RID broadcast modules operating on WiFi in a timely manner, you will need to use dedicated RID receiver hardware devices. Anyone that wants one of those is welcome to buy one.

Nothing to do with who owns the phone. The WiFi on smart phones does not scan in the manner required to receive RID broadcast. In order to receive RID broadcast modules operating on WiFi in a timely manner, you will need to use dedicated RID receiver hardware devices. Anyone that wants one of those is welcome to buy one.
That is correct, even though some Android phones can get reasonable performance on Wi-Fi scanning when Wi-Fi throttling is disabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN