Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Regional Correctional Center - no longer

Perch

Reaction score
I have been asked about shooting aerial footage in our downtown area of a no longer in use Regional Correctional Facility - AirMap gives me warnings about the facility, even though it's not in use, and hasn't been in use for quite some time. It is going to be torn down shortly, which is the reason for the video - news. Down side, is that it is right across the street from our PD Headquarters. Any time I shoot downtown, I get warnings about the correctional facility. Will DJI software still allow flight around the correctional facility? And would getting approval from PD Headquarters be an advisable thing to do? LOL! I am guessing yes on the approval. One thing I did notice on AirMap, is that the area for the correctional facility is orange, even though I get a red warning - if that helps. Thanks!

I looked at the DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone map, and it still has the correctional facility building in red, but the streets surrounding are not. I'm guessing, should be able to fly from street, but that is really close to restricted zone. Any thoughts?

I have been asked about shooting aerial footage in our downtown area of a no longer in use Regional Correctional Facility - AirMap gives me warnings about the facility, even though it's not in use, and hasn't been in use for quite some time. It is going to be torn down shortly, which is the reason for the video - news. Down side, is that it is right across the street from our PD Headquarters. Any time I shoot downtown, I get warnings about the correctional facility. Will DJI software still allow flight around the correctional facility? And would getting approval from PD Headquarters be an advisable thing to do? LOL! I am guessing yes on the approval. One thing I did notice on AirMap, is that the area for the correctional facility is orange, even though I get a red warning - if that helps. Thanks!
Are you close by? if so check if the NFZ will prevent your flight. A courtesy phone call to the PD won't hurt you.

Thanks for the tip Luis! Like I said, this is for news. So I have the reporter on it calling the PD and SO - they are both in the same building. Looks like the flight SHOULD work, but I will check with the NFZ - good call. I have been doing this less than a year now. So still learning some things. Which is why I was looking to see what other, experienced pilots might do. I will have the reporter with me to take any possible questions from people if they are concerned. I imagine flying in front of the PD HQ would raise some eyebrows. I was able to submit and get FAA LAANC approval for the Class C airspace, and it overlapped some of the Restricted Space. I guess, we'll see. :)

You'll want to check with the local LEO there (as you said you will and others suggested).

here in NC we can't fly within 250 laterally from a Correction/Detention facility as they deem them "Sensitive Infrastructure" which gives them control and approved by the FAA. One of my training spots is about 100' in front of the Sheriff's Office (they have a small prison on the property) and legally I have to have written approval from the AHJ for each flight. I just drop him an email and he replies with approval each time.

Better safe than sorry :)

Thanks guys! We should find out if there is any issue when I hear back about the call to PD. I'll post back what happens. Suppose to do this shoot today. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
OK. Learned a lot on this flight! No problems with the local PD or SO, but we had informed them to make sure we were good to do this flight. The Restricted Zone was a huge pain in the ___ - rear. It shouldn't still be a RZ, but it is... but just the shape of the building - or I thought. Was able to get in air fine, get up around 50 feet, then started getting warnings about the Restricted Zone. Landed, did again. Got up around 100 feet before warnings started. Couldn't keep in forward motion on the controls because they did nothing. And the breeze was pushing the Phantom 4 back a little. Started bringing it down and it would stop. Finally managed to keep it from going over the street, and brought it off to the side - avoiding prisoner transport van, light pole and next door building. Discovered that I don't want to do that again. LOL! I was prepared for the turbulence from the buildings with the breeze, but the Restricted Zone was a wild card factor in that it seemed to expand outward as I was flying. Probably just the software, because it had home placed about 20 yards from where I was and I had to re-home it. Live and learn. :) Think I got what I needed.

No doubt. This is second time that DJI software has given me issues when it shouldn't. Another flight I was in a geo zone that DJI wouldn't allow me to fly, even though I had FAA LAANC approval up to 100 feet in Class C airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV