Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

SAR Conundrum ...

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
I know there is a SAR area in this forum, but it has only 6 posts so forgive the intrusion.

I've recently taken and completed a SAR/SAREX online course. This course was free except for the many hours it took to complete it. Time IS money. Upon course completion, a Certificate of Achievement is supposed to be awarded. In my case, the certficiate portion of the deal did not happen really (It is blank). I've emailed the course creator several times and am getting the runaround.

Aren't things challenging enough for small business sUAS operators that we have to put up with this nonsense from within the community?

I have access to a great many resources regarding sUAVs, Part 107, UAS Coalition, 5 UAV forums (including this one), and more. My overarching goal would be so that others would not be spoofed or left empty handed.

Before you remind me that it did not directly COST any money, I'm wondering what the collective thinks my next steps might be. I am NOT ready to walk away yet because of the P R I N C P L E. Once I know the eventual outcome of this situation, I will divulge the source, the result or both.

With any luck, the author is a member here, reads this, and gets his act together - but my breath shall not be held.

Thanks guys/gals ...

Full disclosure, I have no idea of which training you are referring. However, the UAV industry, like all new endeavors, is full of instant experts (how can anyone call her/himself an "expert' on anything drones??? How long have consumer drones been around?)

I saw this coming when all the UAV 107 schools popped up overnight, to be followed by all the (fill in the blank) UAV courses, Video, police, fire, antennas, SAR, Infrared, How to photograph your dog with a drone course, etc.

It's the nature of the market. Now, more than ever, it is up to the consumer to spend our money wisely.

While I'll agree with @LUIS MARTINEZ to a large degree (there are a LOT of predatory companies out there) I have to admit some people have been "doing this" for a long time. Some well before many had even heard of a "drone".

While the vast majority are simply "Fly by night" or so called "Pop Up Experts" with the right research and questions you can sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Do you feel you learned anything "valuable" from the course that you might be able to apply to a Real-World scenario?

Hopefully you'll get this worked out. I've love to know more because I'm always looking to learn more and get new ideas to incorporate into our SAR program.

Most SAR operations are very structured. I don't know what course you took, but if it was from a private company, it may be a worthless credential. At the very least, you'll need to complete ICS 100 on the FEMA website. That will produce a certificate that will be recognized at SAR operations.

Reactions: Avocet and BigAl07
Most SAR operations are very structured. I don't know what course you took, but if it was from a private company, it may be a worthless credential. At the very least, you'll need to complete ICS 100 on the FEMA website. That will produce a certificate that will be recognized at SAR operations.

Exactly. On the local level here in WNC in order to work at an incident they require:

ICS 100
ICS 200
ICS 300
ICS 400
and that's just to start training with the local Incident Management Team let alone getting deployed/used.

If you want to be a part of the "State Team" you then need:
IS 700
IS 800
at the minimum and you'll have to apply and get approved into the NC Emergency Services sUAS Program before you can participate (get deployed).

It's going to get a bit more complicated with FEMA releasing some specific "pending" sUAS training and certifications. It's not "mandated" yet but it's just around the corner.

Reactions: Avocet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164