Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Send to a 3D printer?

Arnold LeVine

Reaction score
I have a 3D image of a building. Is there a file format to translate or output in order to 3D print the model?
Suggestions for mapping software to accomplish this? any tutorial links are welcome.
thanks.

Reactions: MikeA and BigAl07
I have a 3D image of a building. Is there a file format to translate or output in order to 3D print the model?
Suggestions for mapping software to accomplish this? any tutorial links are welcome.
thanks.
I'm anxious to see what you come up with. Sounds exciting.

thanks.
Each 3D printer uses a specific software... they all have special file formats. But, they can all Import an STL file. So, from your model, export to an STL.

I use Pix4D for mapping/modeling side (not flying).

There’s a company that makes 3D printed miniatures in snow globes by using a drone to take photos of homes with their owners standing out in front, pretty cool stuff:

You could make a 3D model of a building for printing using Agisoft’s Metascan, but they’re a Russian Company if that matters. (Good people work there, it’s just that you may have issues sending them a software payment).

I found this article how to do it online - free software sourcing too!
“started by generating a mesh model after mapping using Pix4D and then processed it afterward using Meshmixer. The Pix4D was costly, but there are free alternatives such as “Meshroom” that you can use if you can’t bear the cost. (Meshroom looks pretty good, it’s easy to use and has a lot of functionality.)

It took around 200 photos and in terms of the scaled dimensions and detail from the drone, it works out to be around 3cm per pixel. The resolution mainly depends on the drone’s camera and height of flight”

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91