Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Should i go for it?? (PART 107 DRONE TRAINING)

For that kinda money should include a drone.....lol....look into Gold Seal training, they guarantee you will pass exam or pay your test fee. I love thier courses, and it is for a lifetime, not just this 1 test.

Well said Bob. I also personally endorse Gold Seal (take that for what you paid for my advice LOL) . I still use them for refresher training and to help some of my sUAS students along when they ask me a question I'm not 100% sure about. It's the gift that keeps on giving.... and giving.... and giving . . . . . .

Reactions: Bob
I seen an ad from my community college for "Drone Pilot Training." Its a $1200 2 day course.

I assume that course would include a day of actual hands on outdoor flying instruction and practice. But you really don't need a course for that, just practicing flying on your own is good enough, plus an online Part 107 course as suggested. That $1200 cost is probably to help offset the price of crashed drones.

Hey,
I live in Philadelphia area in PA and am currently been working Security for about 1.5 years now. I have an Associates degree and am also currently working on a Bachelors in Poli sci with a minor in Criminal Justice.

I seen an ad from my community college for "Drone Pilot Training." Its a $1200 2 day course. I currently make $13 an hour at my job and have no experience whatsoever in Drone piloting.

Would it be worth it to get involved in this field or would i be wasting my time? Do i need my own drone for a commercial job?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
As a future career field, drone pilot is worth considering, I think. I haven't looked into this very far, but I believe companies will be hiring to get people to operate their drones for mapping, inspections, etc. Power lines, wind turbines, tall structures of any kind, can easily be checked with a drone like never before. My nephew just passed the test to go along with his work in mapping, but doesn't have a drone.

Bought my first drone 2 months ago and began to learn to fly it. Being a professional photographer, I quickly changed focus to the exam, which I passed today @ 90%. For preparation I watched several long videos more than once as well as some shorter ones. Reference material from FAA and online practice tests complete what I did. I'd do it again the same way, but wait to register my drone under part 107 rather than as a recreational flier. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos on the exam, allowing a few days for the info to sink in.

First off WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATS on passing your test.

As a future career field, drone pilot is worth considering, I think. I haven't looked into this very far, but I believe companies will be hiring to get people to operate their drones for mapping, inspections, etc. Power lines, wind turbines, tall structures of any kind, can easily be checked with a drone like never before. My nephew just passed the test to go along with his work in mapping, but doesn't have a drone.
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but you'll definitely want to do more in-depth research because making any business decisions. Many of the industries you mentioned have started doing sUAS operations internally and for good reason. Initially it's expensive to set up an internal sUAS dept but there after it usually saves money and allows them to control quality and processes better. Unfortunately I fully expect this trend to only increase going forward as more and more industries are exploring sUAS operations and seeing the HUGE benefit of them.

Reactions: Ranger
First off WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATS on passing your test.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but you'll definitely want to do more in-depth research because making any business decisions. Many of the industries you mentioned have started doing sUAS operations internally and for good reason. Initially it's expensive to set up an internal sUAS dept but there after it usually saves money and allows them to control quality and processes better. Unfortunately I fully expect this trend to only increase going forward as more and more industries are exploring sUAS operations and seeing the HUGE benefit of them.
Thanks, Big Al. My first paragraph is aimed at the OP with the thought of him getting hired, not doing those jobs himself. If I were much younger, I'd be thinking along those lines. I should have mentioned that getting a drone and becoming a proficient pilot is as important as getting certified, even though one can study and pass without ever flying.

My own interest in sUAS is strictly as an extension of my stock photography business, which is part-time for now (park ranger for a few more years). After a few years of ignoring drone photography, I could no longer resist getting a flying camera. My stock sales of aerials may never pay the costs, but that's not why I'm doing this. It's to participate in a new and exciting aspect of photography, one that was financially impractical just a few years ago.

Reading this forum has been invaluable and interesting. Thanks for maintaining a great platform for the exchange of information and experiences.

Reactions: OFPMatt and BigAl07
I agree with BigAl, but will go a bit further with my prediction. I believe that most companies that eventually develop their own internal drone resource will not create an sUAS "department", but instead will train a handful of their current everyday technical people who are familiar with the type of work they do to become their internal sUAS resource having Part 107 certificates.

Reactions: BigAl07
I assume that course would include a day of actual hands on outdoor flying instruction and practice. But you really don't need a course for that, just practicing flying on your own is good enough, plus an online Part 107 course as suggested. That $1200 cost is probably to help offset the price of crashed drones.

I took the week lone course at Avion in Huntsville, AL. It is a combination of classroom and hands on flying and I must say I did learn some new procedures from them, mainly ways of working with a observer. I went because the company I work for insists on this particular course, it isn't cheap, but if someone has no aviation experience it is very good.

UAS Training & Development | FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot Certification | UAV Operator Training |Avion Unmanned Solutions

wow $1200 and i thought the University here in Springfield,MO charging $800 was way out of line.
In my area (Calgary, Canada; nicknamed Houston North) the college charges US$900+ and private ground schools charge US$600 for restricted radio operator and advanced drone training. Then we still need US$300 for a demonstration flight review with each UAV model we buy or fly. We need all three licences to be commercial.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905